Magnets

Does anyone have a good source for some really tiny, but powerful magnets, preferably all weather type?

http://ef.algebra.com /

Thanks, but I already have an oscilloscope!
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:35:08 -0600, the infamous "Henry"

Remove "oscilloscope" and at the top, key in "rare earth magnet".
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Thanks. I have bookmarked it.
What I would like is a way to search multiple categories for everything that is close to me. I used to search " business and industrial " with nothing in the search term box. This let me see interesting things close to me that I might want and not pay any shipping. It would have been better if I could have picked only some of the categories in business and industrial.
But Ebay " improved " things so that no longer works at the " business and industrial " level. It will work on say " manufacturing and metalworking " , but then I do not see things under " Electrical and Test Equipment ".
Dan

I used to do the exact same thing, and cannot do so anymore due to ebay changes.
Since there is one more person in the same boat, maybe I can write a perl script to find results in multilpe subcategories and merge them. It would be a webpage. Let me know if you would be using it, then I will write it.
On Mar 9, 1:28pm, Ignoramus17831 <ignoramus17...@NOSPAM. 17831.invalid> wrote:> I used to do the exact same thing, and cannot do so anymore due to

I would think that a lot of people would like a way to search in multiple subcategories. If it would automatically load the subcategories, it would be slick. Just click on your webpage in the bookmarks, and bingo you are looking at what you are interested in. Yes I would use it.
Dan

I got what I think was a good deal from www.magnetsource.com
Steve
Henry wrote:

I've purchased neodymium magnets from these people:
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPathp_79&zenide316c642f1ab6d3b8b6bc8c316d39d9
Scary strong.

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPathp_79&zenide316c642f1ab6d3b8b6bc8c316d39d9
I'll look at those, thanks!
I've bought small quantities from www.kjmagnetics.com (he also sells on ebay) and the ebay store emovendo, and been happy with both. The first two shipments from kj included samples - a 3 mm dia cylinder and a 3 mm cube. I know they have 2 mm dia discs, don't know how much smaller. These are N42 neodymium boron iron rare earths. KJ has some N48's if you need stronger. Emovendo has "pushpins" that are about 1/2" diameter and 1" tall that will pin 20-30 pages of notebook paper to a metal surface like a refrigerator. Gave a bunch away as stocking stuffers one year :-).
----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Do these hold up well in the elements? My usage will be outdoors, 4 seasons.

They are nickel plated, but I have no idea how well the nickel plate holds up. Without being nickel plated, they would fail in a very short time.
Harbor Freight sells them. Look at item numbers 67488 and 98371.
Dan
Henry wrote:

Google neodiyium magnets

Or try neodymium magnets. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:

whatever <G>

When I google neodiyium magnets, it takes me to neodymium magnets. Are they the same? What are the basic differences in metallurgy? Am I being redirected by malware? Should I be concerned? Is this another Obama conspiracy to pirate a private market?
Steve ;-)

I got a bunch of custom samarium cobalt magnets to my specs for reasonable from Duramag. I designed and built a set of custom lab stirrer hot plates to go to 215 deg C. Neodymium ain't good for that. Most of these magnetic materials are brittle, by the way.
Pete Keillor

Thanks everyone for some great leads, I think I've found several promising models (roughly the size of a dime). I'm glad I found this group since I think it's always better to ask and learn from other's experiences.
I was almost turned away however, by some lunatic with a political agenda. I'm glad I decided to ask my question anyway! Maybe you guys need to moderate this group, I wonder how many others are turned away by that kind of idiocy. Anyway, thanks again!
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 22:24:48 -0600, "Henry"

One more source which has lots of other useful items: http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n Disc magnets down to 1/4" dia, rod magnets down to 1/8x1/8. Their nail brushes are, hands down, the best hand cleaning devices I've ever used.
Rare earth magnets include both samarium and neodymium types. My experience has been that the shiny plating will eventually come off and the darned things will corrode.
Terry