Those pesky right-angle magnets

Hello gang. Wonderful group you've got here. I've been lurking for a while, with the rare post.... I've got a crazy question for the sage members of the group. What the heck is the most efficient method for cleaning all the metal filings/slag/etc. off those pesky right-angle magnets? The most efficient method I've found...... which really isn't (efficient that is), is to use a soft slightly oily cloth to wipe the magnetized particles to a corner, then pinch them into the cloth. There's just got to be some wonderfully efficient method for taking care of this simple task. How about it?

Joe

the hack welder/hack golfer/hack jack-of-all-trades

Reply to
Dr Insane Demento

I have a stronger magnet that I keep in a heavy plastic bag. A few simple waves along the plastic bag cleans off the right angle block. When it looks necessary, I pull the plastic bag inside-out and dump the little fuzzies in the trash. I prefer this method to blowing at it with air.

DanG

VERRY clever I will have to remember that one. I have the same problem..

Reply to
Don D.

(...)

(...)

The Handyman's Secret Weapon, duct tape.

Dereel a couple feet and daub the magnet with the sticky side of the tape. Repeat as necessary.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

HEY, HEY, HEY! It won't be a secret if you go telling everyone!

Steve ;-)

BTW, nice tip. Why didn't I think of it?

Reply to
SteveB

Oh, you mean this *isn't* email? ;) It ain't nearly as fast as an air nozzle, but it's way safer.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I also use the plastic bag and magnet method for cleaning up after the grinder and the stray hairs from the wire wheel.

Reply to
Luke Warmwater

Air hose works for me.

Gunner

Gunner

I got some of those neodymium boron magnets. The little STRONG ones. A few of them stacked together are very powerful. I have used them to pick up spilled nails, nuts, and assorted other things. They have a ton of uses, and one glued to the end of a dowel is the best thing going for retreiving tools dropped in tight places. They have many uses.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yep - cept when that tape sticks the sharp stuff to the fingers :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A plethora of great ideas!! And all a heck-uv-a-lot better than my previous lame methodology. THANKS! To one, and all. I think I'm going to search out a few of those neodymium boron magnets. If it's hard to pronounce, it's gotta be good. Right??

Joe aka. semi-professional fundamentally amateur hack welder's apprentice

Reply to
Dr Insane Demento

Hasn't happened to me yet. Course I havent injected any iron swarf into my eyes yet either. Lucky lucky lucky. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Go to

or look in ebay under super magnets and rare earth magnets. I got 100 of them for $20, and used them for many things. About ready to send for more.

Handy little boogers.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I am a duct tape guy , think I will have to try the magnets. Those magnets can be really strong. You dont want flesh to get between two of them as they will give you a good pinch(blood blister). I gave my daughter 2 of them to build a note holder. It is still stuck to her locker and she cant get it off.

Reply to
Jimmie

Often one has to slide to an edge, not bend over or pull off.

Magnetron magnets are known to be the same hazard. Known killer of teachers magnets, compass, etc. Even when fore warned. I then started placing a plastic card with information that was attached to the magnets. It held the warning and a phone number. :-) Then it worked.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

They will not slide past a raised edge. I am going to try to get around to her school one day and see if I cant pull them off with some vice grips and try not to break the magnets in the process. She likes having them there because a lot of kids try to steal them and they cant get them off.

Reply to
Jimmie

As a brief FYI..... I am now the proud owner of a couple of N50 Neodymium magnets. DANG! they are STRONG! Thanks for all the advice. PS: I'll use the duct tape plan for any residual stuff left on my magnets.

Joe Hack Welder

Reply to
Dr Insane Demento

One more FYI .. Inside every dead hard drive is a pair of one sided Neodymium magnets.

Reply to
Glenn

take another magnet similar strength and push them off from the back side of the door if it's only a single layer door

Dave

Reply to
D Peturson

Keepers that I know of are copper flashed or plated 1/8" bars that have an eye off one side (near the end).

I think the copper helps in the metal to metal merging issue and is a softer metal to 'tear' when sliding. Paint helps naturally. The eye - a spot where a tie chain can pull it off if needed.

You might take a small block of wood - e.g. 1/4" thick to pry upon, long enough and wide enough to spread the pressure - plywood 1/4 or 1/2" is good - then use a pry bar to get under the hoop and onto the wood - angle up and slip a keeper of something you can pull off later under the exposed faces. Have someone there to handle it as it might pop off or fall once away from the surface.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn