right angle crank

Hello
I need to make a crank angle for operating push pull rods, about 2
inch long on each side. Do I just cut it out of steel plate - 2 inch
wide by say 1/4 inch thick and then drill the three holes and file it
to shape or it there a much better way on a milling machine or lathe.
Thanks very much
Smokeyone
Reply to
Smokeyone
I'm assuming you mean a belcrank, milling would probably be easier. Cutting on a bandsaw might serve as long as you have enough tolerance. Usually the hole spacing means more than the outside shape.
Reply to
Lennie the Lurker
Thanks for the reply. Although not mine I do have access to a milling machine. Straight edges would be okay but if I wanted something a bit more interesting would I need to file by hand or can a milling machine be made to mill curves.
Thanks
Smokeyone
Reply to
Smokeyone
It can do it with a rotary table, but maybe it would be just as well to mill until just slightly over what you want, by eye, then file to finish shape. A die grinder and rotary file would speed things, but might take a little practice first. An inside radius can sometimes be cut using the right diameter end mill, dictated by the size of the machine and how big it can handle. Sometimes, just marking it out on the piece, hacksawing to remove most of the excess, then filing to shape does it. PITA if you have a lot of them, for one, ok, but lots of work.
Reply to
Lennie the Lurker