linley jig borer

I have a line on a Linley jig borer. Its cute as can be and I want to take it home with me. I already have 2 vertical mills. Will this jig borer be very useful?

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

gnurk..cringe..groan...as much as it pains me to say this...ouch..if you have two decent mills already..it wont help you much. They are a highly accurate drill press that can be a highly accurate but very underpowered mill.

But what does "useful" have to do with anything? Think of it as rescuing one of the most splendiferous and accurate examples of American Heavy Metal. In fact..its your cultural and Civic duty.

Go forth my son, and harvest.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Dunno, but when you're done with that, I know where there's a Moore that can be had for about $500. If some three tons of machine can be cute, it's cute.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Bringing home a Linley is sorta like bringing home a Beagle. Bringing home a Moore is more like bringing home a St Bernard!

The Linley has power downfeed which I do not have on my vertical mills. There is a SMALL posibility the spindle on the Linley is more perpenduclar to the table than a mill.

I think the hard reality is that it does not provide much more than a mill(at least to me), but its a neat toy. Toys are toys. Fun to play with but not always useful. chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

I ran Jig borers professionally for many years (Pratt & Whitney) and I can tell you one thing for sure: Jig borers are not milling machines. If you plan to use it as such you will be disappointed and will probably damage a very useful machine tool. However, if your goal is the accurate location and sizing of holes, by all means, aquire that machine. For the latter purpose they have no peer.

Reply to
TheManFromUtopia

I already have a vertical mill with a DRO. I am finding it hard to convince myself that it will provide much more ability than I already have, even though I want too. So my question still remains, what can it do that my vertical mill with DRO cannot do?

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Moore jig grinder?

Jim

jim rozen

---------------------------------------------------- I had a Linley jig borer once upon a time and it was great for jig boring but really sucked for milling. The cutters would walk out of the collets and new collets were big $$$$$ and hard to find!

Donald Warner

Don't let the facts interfere with your prejudices

Donald

I'd be surprised if you could use that DRO to place holes within tenths reliably on a mill.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Me too. But I would be surprised if *I* could place holes within tenths on any machine. I also wonder if a 40 year old jig borer has high precision left in it. And to top it all off, I don't need to place holes to within tenths. I'm happy with a standard DRO.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

I don't know how the Linley works, but most true jig borers, with the notable exception of the Moore, don't have their positioning accuracy affected much by wear of bearing surfaces, including ballscrews and bedways. They usually have some kind of independent system that transfers positions to the machine, such as the gage bars, or whatever they call them, on some European machines. Either SIP or Dixie used such a system, for example.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Then I think you've answered your question :)

Perhaps you can pick it up and sell it off on eBay or sell it locally?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Doubt it. The seller wants 2k for it, which is probably too much.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Full description and pictures here:-

If you want accurate and repeatable hole locations up to half inch. you won't do much better (0.0001 resolutions). If you want another milling machine or Heavy drill (> 1/2"), then it won't do the job.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I said :-

Full description and pictures here:-

If you want accurate and repeatable hole locations up to half inch. you won't do much better (0.0001 resolutions). If you want another milling machine or Heavy drill (> 1/2"), then it won't do the job.

Mark Rand RTFM

I should have pointed out that with boring bits you can get the same location with much larger holes. What you won't do is drill 2" holes in one go!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand