(Dis) Advantages of a jig-borer ?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what are the (dis)advantages of a jig-borer compared with a standard vertical mill for hobby engineering use ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

There is a discussion about this currently on the Chaski board:

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Depends on which "jig borer". Technically, as the name suggests, a jig borer is for boring holes -which is of slightly limited use for hobby engineering (unless your hobby consists in making plates with a lot of precisely positioned holes). But some jig borers can be used as vertical milling machines as well. If you can get one that can be used as a mill as well it will be a very accurate machine, but probably not suitable for heavy milling.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Thanks for troubling to reply Andrew, but I really can't stand web forums :-(

Regards,

Reply to
Boo