Fun with a shaper

Saw something interesting.

On page 182 of "Processes of manufacturing" [Wright], it shows a shaper cutting flats into a rod *while on a lathe*.

Is that some odd combination machine, or did they wheel a shaper over to a lathe ?

Reply to
Scott Moore

Roy J

Wouldn't that be the old trick (so I've heard) of putting a toolbit in sideways and running the carriage back and forth, to slowly carve a groove?

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams