shaper tool holders

Just acquired an Alba4S shaper 18" stroke . I'm looking for armstrong type tool holders ,preferably the T series with no back rake . A universal type would also be nice to have . The shank size I need is 5/8 thicknes. Ive looked on Ebay and thos on there are either too large in the shank or are for planers.

Knowing some of you blokes on this forum are masters at finding stuff ,I thought I would put out the word.

I also need a shaper vice , with jaws around 9" wide , but the cost of shipping from the US would be deadly me thinks.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Planer toolholders and zero-rake lathe toolholders work fine in shapers. So does an HSS tool bit to fit the toolpost!

Regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm no stranger to the operation of shapers and planers , used a few over the years as a tool & die maker.

The planer tool holders I've found ( on Ebay ) are way to big to fit the tool post slot .

Tool post slot is .050" under 3/4" and I'm not sure if its agood idea to open the slot, might weaken the latern , I could make a new latern a with a 3/4" slot I guess. I have some 3/4" sq HSS bits , I guess I could send them out and get them surface ground to fit.

Zero rake lathe tool holders are not common here and very difficult to find. I guess most of them got tossed out along with the shapers when mills started to take over.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Would it not be OK to just grind the toolbit, taking into account the built in angle of a typical lathe tool holder, so the end result is the same as with a zero rake type?

As an aside, but slightly related (because it has zero rake): I was having trouble making a slot, until I tried a lathe's parting tool holder, which also had a gooseneck feature. It changed from making the shaping job a nasty ripply finish, to cutting smoothly as silk.

Shaper tyro.

Reply to
Jordan

Not a problem to grind the tool , ,it's just me , I just like to have the tools to suit the machine . Toolaholic .

I have read that the gooseneck tool holders are good for preventing chatter . Also it depends on whether the cutting edge is in front of the clapper pivot point or behind . The Armstong universal tool holder can be set either way. It takes some experimenting to see which give better results . Haven't got to the slotting tools yet. The shaper is still in bits and it will be a while before it's actually running , Im being proactive and looking for bits so when it is ready to run I have the stuff at the ready.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

[ ... ]

Never had the pleasure of using (or even seeing in operation) a planer -- but I have a 7" shaper which I love to use for various tasks.

[ ... ]

You'll also find the zero rake holders for lathes -- for holding the brazed carbide insert turning tools. So if you include lathe tool holders in your search, that might do what you need.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I had problems with chatter on the 7" AAMCO, so I took the advice in a Brit shaper text and built one that put the tool bit behind the clapper pivot plane. It had come with Armstrong-style tool holders, just lathe lantern-style ones. No more problems after I made that, just a nice "shoop-shoop" when cutting. Williams used to have a tool shaper holder cataloged that would let the user put the bit at any angle. I kind of copied that when I couldn't find the real deal on the shelf for less than $200. Just used a rectangular section of hot- rolled strip for the shank that the tool post held and made up a sleeve that got welded on the end. Back end of the sleeve was behind the clapper pivot. I took a fine thread 5/8" bolt, turned the head round and drilled and filed a square hole in it next to the head to fit a 1/4" bit. A nut and washer made up the rest. Filing the hole took the longest time on the project, finished it all in an afternoon.

And a shaper without a vise is kind of like a car without tires, very limited. Hope the shaper was bought cheap. I suppose a guy could make one up from a regular mill vise with some sort of adapter plate and shank for the pivot, probably wouldn't be as rigid as the real deal.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

The shaper came very cheap ,I had it given to me $0 cost . I will find a vice eventually they are around , it's just finding one . There is one on AU Ebay right now for a very low price ,but unfortunately is badly butchered ,has been used for a drill vice and has some very bad over run holes and may not beworth the freight cost just to find out its not worth repair.It's listed as a big mill vice. Part of the problem is most people don't know the difference between a normal machine vice and the shaper vice.

The same type of vice that the Elliot or Invicta shaper came with 9" long jaws and 10" opening would be prerfect for the 18" Alba. Alba is the ancestor to the Invicta and the later Elliot.The vices would not have changed much between the models at all.

A vice is not always needed on a shaper in fact using stops and side bearing clamps a lot of work can be done by just clamping to the table or using an angle plate. A vice is very handy just the same.

Gunner of this forum says he has one , I sent him an e-mail but he hasn't got back to me as yet . Considering thier rareity here it may be worth the cost of shipping to get one from the US. Some new ones are avilable from India but I'm not sure of the quality.

On Practical Machinist forum there is a post regarding making the Armstrong/Williams universal tool holder of which you speak Also a member of the Aussie woodwork forums (metal working section) has just completed one for his Swedish shaper. I will build one when I get the shaper running .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Hey all,

I'm headed to NAMES on Saturday morning first thing. Hope a whole lot of you can get there too.

This year, it is back at the Yack Arena in downtown Wyandotte, which is right on 3 miles due east of the place it was in 2011. 2 blocks north of Eureka Rd., 2 blocks west of Biddle (the main drag in Wyandotte).

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I hope you have a great time. I won't be attending this year. I spent my fun budget replacing my electric service and buying a generator. The March snowstorm was a doozy.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I was there on Saturday from 9 till 1pm - this time I got there early enough to easily find a parking spot and be there when the doors opened.

Reply to
aribert n