Cracked Bridgeport Right angle milling attachment

I just purchased a used right angle attachment from a local tool dealer for my Bridgeport. He had quite a few Bridgeport brand that had cracked housings where the quill clamp slit ends. I guess this is a weak point. The H & R unit I ended up buying had a thicker cast iron housing than the Bridgeport brand unit so maybe it's a little stronger. What is it people are doing, or forgetting to do that winds up breaking them? I intend to only use it with R8 collets and end mills, not with the horizontal milling arbor.

Reply to
oldjag

I have one on the shelf. I'll take a close look at it. My first thoughts are cracks from overtightening the clamp screws.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

It could also be from forgetting to loosen the spreader set screw in between the two clamp bolts

Reply to
James P Crombie