Right angle gear bearings?

For a power tool like the DeWalt 18 V right angle drill.

There is a large bearing just before the chuck arbor, at the output of the right angle gear. Is there another bushing or bearing on the other side of the gear? It would help prevent sideways pressure on the gears, but I guess they could use an opposite side bushing/bearing on only one of the two angle gears that mesh together, if any.

That is difficult to explain, let me know if it's not enough.

Thanks.

I am looking for a diagram of that particular right angle gear, however unlikely.

Reply to
John Doe

That looks like a sketchy diagram.

I guess if the right angle gears are large enough, there might be room for two bushings/bearings on the inner rods of the gears that mesh together. That does not show them, but the right angle bearing parts look like they have rods that might fit into bearings/bushings.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe

I'm not sure what you're asking, but.. in most power tools (and other compact applications of right angle gears) the output shaft is long enough that the inner end is long enough to fit into a bearing that's imbedded into the gear housing, which provides support and alignment.

The housing generally provides all support for the output shaft by way of the bearings who's positions are held and reinforced by the housing. The housings typically consist of a cavity and a cover, in which the bearing positions are accurately aligned.

Many times the internal housing bearing is an oilite-type bushing bearing instead of a ball bearing assembly.

Then, there is the example I mentioned before, about a cheap angle grinder that I bought years ago, which had a plain steel bushing instead of a ball bearing at the output shaft. I can't imagine that the cost difference was so great, in terms of the cost of a cheap Chinese ball bearing, that machining a steel bushing the same size as a bearing would be much cheaper. I have to assume that the bushing was probably scrap left over from some other product, and was seen as an opportunity to utilize the waste.

Reply to
Wild_Bill