contact lens

does anybody weld wih contact lens?
I heard it may be dangerous due to the UV rays.
It's true or is it only an urban legend?
Thanks
Reply to
Paperon de Paperoni
"Paperon de Paperoni" ha scritto nel messaggio news:cvhh6i$uht$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.mailgate.org...
I mean arc weld
Reply to
Paperon de Paperoni
1. You don't encouter UV rays unless you are welding without eye protection. Don't do this. 2. This is urban legend:
I've done it with no problems.
Steve
Paper>does anybody weld wih contact lens?
Reply to
Steve Smith
Paperon de Paperoni wrote in article ...
While the concept of UV rays "welding" contact lenses to your eyes has been properly relegated to Urban Myth status......
....most people who wear contacts have been cautioned by their opthamologists about wearing contacts in atmospheres that are laden with irritants such as dust, vapors and smoke.
Such irritants can be trapped between the lens and eye, creating conditions ranging from mild irritation to fairly substantial pain.....but, not likely threatening eyesight.
Arc welding creates a lot of smoke as the rod coating burns. In a well-ventilated shop, it should cause no problem, but in a confined, poorly ventilated area, there is the potential of eye irritation.
I think this particular Urban Myth is a good example of someone taking a logical precaution to its illogical extreme......
Reply to
Bob Paulin
I used to wear contacts in the welding shop. The dust, dirt, fumes, etc. were just too much to bear.
Paper> does anybody weld wih contact lens?
Reply to
RoyJ
I prefer to weld with contacts. I wear bifocals otherwise, and welding with a combination of contacts and cheaters gives me the clearest picture of what I am doing. Welding with bifocals is difficult.
YMMV
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
"SteveB" wrote: (clip) Welding with bifocals is difficult. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Think that's bad? Try trifocals! So I bought some $3 reading glasses, which I wear under my helmet, and my welding is much improved.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
It is indeed an urban myth, as soemone else mentioned, but I still keep a bottle of rewetting drops handy while I'm welding, just in case. There's no way I could weld with my glasses... at -7.00 L and -7.50 R my glasses would fly off right when I nod the helmet down. Not to mention the horrible fishbowl-ing effects. :)
Paper> does anybody weld wih contact lens?
Reply to
Josh Sponenberg
You know what I find perplexing about that ...............
A $400 set of glass bifocals will catch and hold molten dingleberries in a crater that looks like it is hitting candle wax. Those $3 plastic cheapies throw off those molten dingleberries. I thought glass was denser than plastic, therefore harder for molten things to stick to. But it is just the other way around. It won't faze a cheapo pair of glasses, but will mess up a good pair every time.
Go figger.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Seems like some #10 contact lenses would be to thick for my eyes, and the sun burn on your face would suck. :)
Reply to
kryppy
done it for years.
Reply to