Laser cutting

How does laser cutting actually works.

Reply to
habbi

Al Patrick

If you do not mind me drifting slightly off of the question, How much do laser cutters cost (as I am digging in my pocket and pulling out pocket lint) and what is the smallest unit sold now days as things get smaller.

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

There are 3 popular lasers used for cutting/welding: CO2 [carbon dioxide], Nd:YAG, Diode. Each has advantages/disadvantages. And the costs fluctuate, depending on power and technology.

Industrial sizes vary from 500 watts to 5kW. Costs are around $100,000-$500,000. An integrated system [fixtures, chiller, controls 2 axis table] can double that cost.

If you'd rather rent one the operating cost is typically $200/hr.

As far as size, diodes are the smallest. Some are about ~50lb for 500 watts. But this also requires a cabinet for the controls

Reply to
Clandestine

What are you trying to cut? Maybe you should look at CNC plasma cutters or even water jet cutting???

Reply to
HotRod