Laser Cutters

Does anyone know what kind of laser cutter is preferred for the production of laser kits?

Thanks.

dlm

------------------------------------------- Dan L. Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

If you watch the video on Bar Mills site, they're using ULS (Universal Laser System) machines, looks like the M series.

Nice machines.

Val

Thanks.

dlm

------------------------------------------- Dan L. Merkel

Reply to
Val

The Bar Mills link doesn't seem to be working right now... I tried this one and then did a Google search; neither one worked. : (

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

custom laser work and short kits....

Dan Merkel wrote:

Reply to
bobbyb

... Didn't see anything on their site about it. Did I miss something?

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

The VersaLASER line is the most popular. I keep watching the prices on these - they've gone down quite a bit but are still too pricy for the occasional doodad. *

P.S.

PV

Here is a unit that is within a hobbyist's price range:

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

The Bar Mills site is back up, but seems to be missing some files. I suspect they had server problems.

Video #2 at the bottom of the main page will show their lasers at work. But that file seems to be AWOL at this moment. ~~~~~~~~~~~

Peteski's link to the (Redsail) M300 laser is interesting. Don't confuse that with the M-300 from ULS. The Redsails are make in China, with no apparent USA support structure. The ULS (as well as the Epilog brand, another good one) are USA made and supported.

~~~~~~~~~~~

If considering a laser cutter, remember that there's more investment than just the machine. You'll need and exhaust system (more than a bathroom squirrel cage fan) and (usually) a compressor with oil and water filters to blow dust/debris from the work area. And a place to put it all. And software to make your drawings (CorelDraw is common, CAD programs can be used as well.)

"May the force be with you"

Val

The Bar Mills link doesn't seem to be working right now... I tried this one and then did a Google search; neither one worked. : (

dlm

Reply to
Val

We're still talking $3K there. Not really casual use money just yet. *

Reply to
PV

Just about any of them will work.

I use a VersaLaser VL300

12 x 24 work area 30 Watt I have about $8000 into mine and it was purchased used. New price would be about twice that.

And yes these are a costly item.

If you go with a Chinese laser, it would be cheaper, but be prepare to do all of you own support, e-mail from China if you can get a reply.

Look at any of the Universal or Epilog line and you cannot go far wrong. Any of the units that is only a few years old should work. Some of the very early units would only do raster (etching) and not vector (cutting) work.

There are several sites on the iternet that you can research on. One being

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard Garner

Reply to
Peter W.

True but it is not 50 grand either. I don't think they'll even get much cheaper than this. Certainly not under couple thousand of US dollars. We are talking here about a laser powerful enough to burn through materials like wood or plastic and a precision XY drive. That setup will always cost money. Unlike printers which manufecturers can sell below cost but still make lots of money selling consummables, laser cutters can't be sold using the same scheme.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

True but it is not 50 grand either. I don't think they'll even get much cheaper than this. Certainly not under couple thousand of US dollars. We are talking here about a laser powerful enough to burn through materials like wood or plastic and a precision XY drive. That setup will always cost money. Unlike printers which manufecturers can sell below cost but still make lots of money selling consummables, laser cutters can't be sold using the same scheme.

Peteski

I think you are right... when I graduated from college, my brother gave me an electronic calculator that had tons of functions on it. Cost about $300. Today, a more capable calculator with graphing is w whole lot less than that. The only drawback might be that not too many people will want laser cutters to have sitting around the house... but most people can make use of calculators even if they have far more functions than they will ever use.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

[...]

And unlike printers (or calculators), laser cutters take up a lot of space, make a lot of noise, and often leave a lot of smell, depending on what you cut.

Val

Reply to
Val