Polar Lights kits

Does anyone have any experience with the Polar Lights kits of both the
"Psycho" house (Bates Mansion) and the Addams Family haunted house? I'm
just wondering how close to HO scale they might be and if the Addams Family
house especially is suitable for a layout. I don't really want something
that looks "cartoony," but somethng kind of old & creepy might fit with my
scheme.
Thanks.
dlm
Dan L. Merkel
Reply to
Dan Merkel
Dan Merkel spake thus:
I have the Bates mansion, one built, another unopened in the box (got it for cheap when toys.com went kaboom). It is exactly HO scale, and a very nicely detailed kit to boot, the farthest thing from a "toy". Makes a very credible Victorian house. I haven't seen the Addams Family house, but I imagine it's of the same caliber.
So are these still being made?
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
No, not as far as I know. But I was thinking about buying one one Ebay or someplace like that IF they were credible kits. I watched one go last night for $51 and change... too rich for my blood. Actually, the Addams Family one looks a little more ornate but I didn't want to get one that was too "cartoony" looking as I mentioned below. The Addams Family one does look "hauntd" with broken railings, etc.
Thanks.
dlm
Reply to
Dan Merkel
You might check the Walthers catalog for abandoned houses, etc. There are a few such kits on the market - if you don't find what you are looking for at a reasonable price.
Reply to
gl4316
Dan Merkel spake thus:
Hey, Dan: here's a picture of my assembled Bates Mansion. You'll have to excuse the quality, as it was taken with my "poor man's digital camera", aka my scanner. Also, the color scheme sucks. But it should give you an idea of the model's overall quality, which is quite good.
Also, the fanlight over the front door is a custom addition that doesn't come with the kit, but was easy to cut out of thin styrene sheet.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
STEVE CAPLE, thank you for a post somewhat on topic. You still are not using your real name though. Dan "David' is really STEVE CAPLE.
On Mar 3, 6:28=EF=BF=BDpm, STEVE CAPLE:
Reply to
curtmchere
Thanks. That does look pretty good. I bought at auction the Addams Family Haunted House which I plan to use as an old, run-down place. I haven't found a Bates Mansion yet.
dan
Reply to
Dan Merkel
Dave, the picture looks quite spooky - appropriate for the subject. The model itself appears to be a nice example of the "carpenter's Gothic" style, thanks for posting it.
Cheers,
Mark.
Reply to
Mark Newton
Yet more bait for the little boys?
Reply to
Chairman Covv
Whose smaller than you?
Reply to
SameAsB4
No, but they show up on Ebay once in a while. I just got the Addams Family house today. It is a bit simple and is cast in a semi-transparent plastic that glows in the dark. It has some "disrepair" built into it, so if one wanted to make it a realistic model, they would need to do some repairs.
dlm
Reply to
Dan Merkel
Dan Merkel spake thus:
Glows green, right?
Perfect for next door to the abandoned nuclear power plant.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
No, they stopped production of them in 2005. They can still be found in some stores.
Reply to
prioritycharge
No, they stopped production of them in 2005. They can still be found in some stores.
That recently? I thought it was back in the mid 1990's that they were run.
dlm
Reply to
Dan Merkel
Dan Merkel spake thus:
Keep in mind you're responding to a troll here.
[headers trimmed]
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
DM:
Well, would it make a realistic derelict mansion? Modern city modelers could sometimes use a few of those next to the Downtown Deco district.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.
Reply to
pawlowsk002