How much does laser cutting cost

Could somebody tell me the costs of laser cutting? Does it go by time, or linear feet? I have a friend whose company uses a laser cutting machine to cut steel, he offered to cut out ribs and formers out of balsa and liteply for me for a small fee. If I provide the dxf CAD file and the material, how much do you think the actually cutting is worth? I'm wondering if his idea of small fee and the going rate for laser cutting services are close.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Some years ago SIG quoted me $1/ft from dxf files plus material costs. In addition, I would have had to organize all the parts on the stock size sheets of material in my drawings. Shipping, etc, would be extra. Keep in mind this was on the order of ten years ago. If you get a more recent quote from someone I would sure like to hear about it.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Minger

WOW! That is WAY HIGH! My Ballistick would cost around $75 plus materials from them! I have received several quotes in the $18 range for this kit including materials. Granted, it is a simple box fuselage with foam core.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"Normen Strobel" wrote in message news:3f4824b6 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com... Could somebody tell me the costs of laser cutting? Does it go by time, or linear feet? I have a friend whose company uses a laser cutting machine to cut steel, he offered to cut out ribs and formers out of balsa and liteply for me for a small fee. If I provide the dxf CAD file and the material, how much do you think the actually cutting is worth? I'm wondering if his idea of small fee and the going rate for laser cutting services are close.

Reply to
Carrell

Are these the prices INCLUDING the laser time? I can see several thousand percent difference in laser time required per sheet.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I guess a person would need to contact the company to find out.

I've never had any contact or dealings with them.

I just had the link bookmarked and posted it since they advertise model plane kit cutting

Based on reading the page, they do not convert plans to CAD files. They list all of the requirements for the files, and have an email address of a person who does the CAD conversions.

Carrell ======================================================================== "Paul McIntosh" wrote in message news:biad28$6dt$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com... Are these the prices INCLUDING the laser time? I can see several thousand percent difference in laser time required per sheet.

Reply to
Carrell

I manufacture laser cut kits and also do some laser cutting on the side during the slow times. Because of the complexity of some parts, I charge by the hour. I charge about $25 - $30 an hour - depending on the amount of ply used. Material would be extra. I can't see people charging by the wood size because simple parts can take 1 minute or less to cut and complex parts with a lot of curves and holes can take 10 minutes or more.

An example of cost - 1 sheet of 3/32" x 4" x 24" filled with 4 - 6 ribs and part numbers (no lightening holes) usually runs about $1.00 and takes about

1-2 minutes to cut. That doesn't include the wood cost. The same size in 1/8" ply would take 4 to 6 minutes to cut.

I don't know what others that do laser cutting only charge but I factor labor cost, laser cost and a small profit. I have never lost a job that I quoted - so I must be on the low side of everyone else.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Grey

Some places charge by the minute for laser time. About 75 cents to a dollar per minute. That makes an average kit some where around $15 to $25 dollars to cut . You didn't say if your dxf files are layed out. I mean, did you lay them out for 4inch balsa (not more than 3 7/8) or

3inch (not more than 2 7/8 inches. Many lasers will cut only 30 inch long pieces. These are thing you must take into consideration when laying out dxf files. If the company you engage to cut your parts must lay them out to actually cut on standard wood width etc, an addition fee will be charged I am sure. There may be a minimum set up fee also as it take time to load you dxf files into a computer and correct them. Good luck Gene
Reply to
wheelsdown