Sharp right-angle bends

I've been seeing a variety of 'recipes' for making a sharp right angle bend.

- A manual from the turn of the century that has us upset the area to

1.5 times bigger, then make the bend and hammer square.

- The Controlled Hand Forging series on the ABANA site that does most of the work at a 100 degree angle, going to 90 at the end.

- The Blacksmiths Journal method of pulling out the corner first to make a platform that's more in-line with the bar.

- Francis Whitaker's method in The Blacksmith's Cookbook (p.87). He claims to manage it in one heat. I wish I could have seen that.

So far I'm a fan of the Blacksmith's Journal recipe.

How do _you_ do it?

Reply to
Carl West