Unscrewing something

A friend of mine asked me over the weekend if I could get a flash suppressor off the barrel of a military rifle he has. The way he described it to me, it is threaded on the barrel. At the base is a hex head which could be twisted by a wrench. It has slots where a rod or piece of flat bar could be inserted and used to apply pressure.

He stated that he has taken it to the point where he is afraid of stripping the hex head, or bending the screwdriver(?) is using to twist the suppressor with.

I suspect that it has some LocTite on it.

If I heat it up too much, it will affect the bluing. Should I put a wrench in a vise, put the hex head in the wrench, apply heat slowly from a propane hand torch, and have him twist on the stock until the thing moves?

I mainly want to avoid heating it up so much to affect the bluing, so would take the heat up gradually, and keep a twisting pressure on the barrel. I can't see putting a pipe wrench on any part of it.

Should I mess with it at all, or just tell him to take it to a gunsmith?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Win Apple iPods, Sony Vaio Notebooks,Video Cameras, Hard Cash and many more.............. Hey I visited

It is a platform to entertain and uplift music lovers, game lovers, and passionate readers; welcome ideas from innovative thinkers, share views of like-minded people.

And coming to the most exciting part of myidahorocks.com is the weekly contests section. You can participate in any one / all of these categories: Stories & Quotes, Music, Animation, Videos & Photographs, and Ideas. The prizes will keep varying and will include iPods, Laptops, Video Cameras and even plain cash. So please visit the site and you may be the winner.

Reply to
Kris

In the automotive trade, a bigger hammer is often prescribed. Literally. Shock it: apply wrench with some pressure, then hit the wrench with a hammer.

wws

Reply to
wwsjr

It might have been permanently attached per BATF specs during the AW ban. If so it would take grinding the welds (should be visible)or heating to 1100 deg to soften the hard solder (much harder to see, but possible). Best to take it to a gunsmith to determine if it's welded or hard soldered or just screwed.

Reply to
Nick Hull

What type of rifle? Some have left-hand threads for the suppressor. Clamping the barrel or receiver so that they're not damaged can be interesting.

What type of suppressor? The AW ban prohibited functional suppressors, so fake ones became available, but you had to permanently mount them. Of course, welding was one way, soldering with > 1100degree solder was another. A third way to 'permanently' mount the suppressor is to drill across one side of the threads and place a pin in the hole. The pin could be soldered and/or the hole welded up.

Lots of info on techniques to do this on the web - falfiles.com, ar15.com, brownells.com.

Reply to
cliff52

Is is a Flash Suppressor or a Silencer? I suspect the former rather than the latter, and there is a difference. I also suspect that there is an attempt here to take a flash suppressor off a weapon, which would allow you to screw on a homemade silencer. And if this is what you are up to, you shouldn't be posting on a public forum asking for tips. Also other than that, there is no reason to be removing a flash suppressor.

Reply to
whiskers69

Just out of curiosity. What was the reason for banning working flash suppressors as part of the AW ban?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

At a guess, "It has a flash suppressor? Then obviously, it's an "assault rifle", and therefore evil"

(Hey, it makes as much sense as any of the rest of the BS that goes with banning guns based on what they look like, rather than what their actual capabilities are...)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Jump to conclusions much? Yes, he's probably trying to take a flash surpressor off of a barrel. Going off on a rant is hardly going to change whatever it is he's doing. I've removed several flash surpressors from several guns in my collection, and never with the purpose of putting on a silencer. He's been given good suggestions, the best of which probably is "take it to a gunsmith". Lecturing on imagined motives isn't one of the helpful responses.

Besides, you do know that they're legal if you have the permissions and the tax stamp, right?

Aside from all that, great post.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Makes 'em look scary. Just like the bayonet lug. Or something like that. Typical feelgood BS lawmaking, but consider the source.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You may have a *LEFT HAND* thread. Check the specs.

Unka George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

======================== Another good reason is to replace the flash suppressor with a muzzle brake.

Unka George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

========= Cosmetics -- Looked "mean" and the people writing the regs didn't know the difference between flash hider/suppressor and silencer, or if they did any ban is a good ban.

Unka George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Good point. There are also other varieties of flash surpressors out there, maybe the guy wants to just dress it up a bit & have it look a bit different. Or, like on my M1-A, to remove it to bore it out for better accuracy (allegedly? Something about more clearance, less turbulence).

Hm. Wonder what a Cutt's Compensator does to a 230 grain round nose...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What military rifle?? Most AK's and FN-FAL's are left hand thread. AR's are right hand. As others have said, it might be welded, soldered or pinned. The one I especially love is the single pin, driven into a blind hole perpendicular to the bore, with the end welded and dressed smooth. There is a special place in hell reserved for whoever thought up that one!

Are you planning to re-use it? If not, chuck it up and machine the flash hider off.

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Well, it's certainly _secure_.

Of the many less than ideal options, I still think "take it to a gunsmith" is the leader on this one. I'm not intimidated easily but the thought of chucking up an assembled weapon doesn't appeal to me.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Bill sez: "> Are you planning to re-use it? If not, chuck it up and machine the flash

Not a bad idea! But what impact would machining off the flash suppressor have against future use of the weapon.?? Better yet, if in doubt about how it comes off, just saw off the barrel and recrown.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Fuck off old man. If you're too dumb to read the original post and remember that I SAID flash supressor, you wouldn't understand the rest of it either. You got any guns? I thought not. Those of us who own guns don't ask other people what we can do with them. We know the laws and limitations. We do not need YOUR permission for anything.

Got it you crusty old f*ck?

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

"Dave Hinz" wrote

Talked to my friend this morning and told him what people here had to say. Also told him I would not do anything to his gun as I could not do it with confidence, and if he wanted it off, to take it to a gunsmith. He said he is just going to leave it on there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Rant? Far from it actually. I guess it may have looked that way. When it comes to firearms, I either go to a gunsmith or figure it out myself. It depends on whether or not it is something that could cause the weapon to explode in my face or become otherwise unsafe.

Reply to
whiskers69