Hydraulic cylinder source?

Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.
TIA,
Rich
Reply to
rich brenz
The cylinders normally used by most were usually found at The Surplus Center or American Scientific, both of which no longer have any of them. They were surplus items so their supplies were limited. I also have looked for them as I would like to have a few more for some odds and ends. The only opeion I have come up with is to find a suitable air cylinder, and perhaps experiment with it. No reason it could not be made to work. If the seals are satisfactory for the liquid used, an air cylinder would work just fine, and with the vast array of air cylinders out there may even work out better in the long run with more options on mounting etc.
Reply to
~Roy~
Try Murphy's industrial supply in El Cajon California. This guy has about a jillion of everything. Just 411 for that place. I have no affilliation with it just refering
Reply to
daniel peterman
I modified a 7x11" Wellsaw 58B using the smallest Prince cylinder that Surplus Center sells. This is a new cylinder, unlikely they're out of stock. I think I paid about $50 for it. The key to this thing is the needle/check valve. I got two back when I was modifying my saw, don't think I'll ever need the other one. It's a Parker item, costs a ton new, email me offline if you are interested in it. It's a check valve/needle valve combo unit, and they work great in series with a shutoff valve. Set needle valve to desired feed rate, cut your part, lift saw just enough to clear, throw shutoff valve (saw stays up), move your part to cut the next one, throw shutoff valve and the saw feeds again.
GWE To email me, see
Grant Erwin
If you are in Canada or near the border check out Princess Auto. I think they also have a web site. Don't know if they will ship outside Canada, though.
Wolfgang
Reply to
wfhabicher
Sell your current saw and buy this -
S Young
Tried eBay yet? There's a fair amount of stuff out there that's poorly described or misspelled that as a result doesn't get a lot of bids, might be worth your while to look into...
Also, look into some of the weird categories like furniture, or do a general search and keep filtering out the bogus stuff rather just than a "it should be in the correct category" search-- hydraulic parts get used in the wierdest places, and some of it is small lower pressure stuff that's probably just right for a project like this.
Also seems to me that
's inventory changes some over time, keep checking back.
HTH --Glenn Lyford
Reply to
glyford
rich brenz wrote in news:4ChNf.30$T54.17 @fe07.lga:
Or:
Anthony
in the storage container I'm helping a friend clean out is a medium sized pile of hydraulic cylinders - the one I brought home to try and sell is about 2 feet long with aprox 4 inch diameter (maybe 5?) piston, dual acting - there are some smaller ones, maybe some larger ones - what size do you need?
Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it
will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t
I'm looking for one at least 2x12" (bore/stroke) with an end-face mount (square flange at the end through which the shaft protrudes).
GWE
William B Noble (d> in the storage container I'm helping a friend clean out is a medium
***
Reply to
Grant Erwin
As others have said, the ones most folks were using were surplus and, as with all surplus, they've run out. The ones I bought from Surplus Center were originally from some type of home gym workout equipment, might give you some ideas if you go dumpster diving or Saturday garage sale prowling. I've never seen a home gym setup with hydraulics, but you might be able to find the manufacturer and get spares. At least one cutoff bandsaw I used, I think it was a Greenlee, used a small pneumatic cylinder as a cutting rate controller. Worked as well as the hydraulic ones.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
For driving something or just slowing down the feed, etc?
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
Slowing down the feed...
Rich
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Reply to
eyeclinic
Expensive, but awesome... Deschner.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
What is so poor about the spring regulated feed? I can see if the feed was way too high or way too low it would be bad for the blade and/or affect the cutting speed, but it seems that there is a pretty wide range of pressure/feed that works "just fine" (or good enough). No?
Just trying to learn, Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt