Filling plasma cutter kerf on stainless

I recently acquired some stainless cutouts 4" diameter by 3/4"
thick. The cutouts all have a =BC" length by 1/16" wide cut where
the cutter has started and worked its way out to leave a perfect circle
in the work. I have TIG/brazed these closed in the past and have been
successful. However the stay silv/phos 5% brazing rod is not a good
color match. I'd like to TIG these closed with stainless rod or find
a better color match brazing or solder rod. If I TIG them, do I need to
bevel out the edges of the kerf cut out a little to be able to weld the
area closed? I like the brazing option, it is so much easier, but my
welding supply dealer didn't offer any options. TIA
-Mike
Reply to
mlcorson
Does the kerf need to be completely filled? Or can you just weld it closed? If all you need is to close it up for cosmetic reasons then all that needs to be done is to make sure the weld area is clean. If there is a bunch of oxidised metal in the kerf welding to this will be problematical. If you need to have the kerf completely filled then the kerf will need to be widened enough to get the tungsten and filler rod in. You can use the sides of kerf as an extension of the ceramic cup on the tig torch. This means you can extend the tungsten out farther to get it deeper into the kerf. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow
Eric: Just closed for cosmetic reasons. I'd like to grind it smooth after filling, so the weld needs to be deep enough to allow for surface finishing. -Mike
>>Eric wrote: >>Does the kerf need to be completely filled? Or can you just weld it closed?
Reply to
mlcorson
Tig weld em. We do this all the time, it works great.
Reply to
rniemi