Brazing HSS to stainless?

I am considering brazing some HSS to stainless for the tips of tweezers
used for glass blowing in order to give them a longer life. What I am
not sure about is whether this is going to work. Many years ago I silver
soldered HSS to mild steel for some reason and the HSS broke near the
join. Can anyone give any advice?. I have appropriate stainless flux.
Reply to
David Billington
The two will silver solder very well, but the temperature at which you use them could be a problem. As long as you don't get the solder to its melting point in use, it will be fine. Make sure you have very clean surfaces before fluxing and soldering. Be sure to let the thing air cool after soldering. Any quick cooling will likely cause the HSS to crack and break as you suggested. Slow cooling is the order of the day.
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
I was anticipating brazing rather than silver soldering but even with silver soldering the maximum temperature should not cause a problem. I'll take you comments on cooling rate on board and allow for a slow cool.
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
Chuckle. Amazing how when I read your post my mind went, automatically, to silver brazing (soldering), not bronze brazing. I've always used silver solder, but I've also seen silicon bronze used with TIG for attaching HSS toolbits to shanks. That works well, too. If I had to choose between brazing and silver soldering, I think I'd stick with the silver solder, if for no other reason, it penetrates all surfaces providing you heat it appropriately. In either case, you should experience reasonably good results.
Good luck!
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Me too. Silver. Put a blanket over it when done, the slower it cools the better.
IIRC, this link is a storehouse of info.

michael
Reply to
michael
Any chance you could get a hold of some Stellite? I have fused Stellite #6 to various metals (steel, stainless steel, Nichrome) to produce a hard and/or heat resistant end. If you could join a short length of Stellite TIG rod to the tweezer ends then grind or machine (carbide tooling) to the desired sahpe, you need have no worries re operating at red heat or somewhat above.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards