Lucy-compressed air motor

Here is a 1.5 minute video of Lucy running. It was built by a student
who had never operated machine tools, requiring about 24 hours of
instruction time for him to complete. Edward G. Warren provided the
design.

Phys Ken
One and a half minutes of a small black square on my screen. If activeX is needed, I'll never see it, no sense in allowing another open door for the hackers.
Reply to
Lennie the Lurker
It's a quicktime plugin it seems. Shows up fine for me.
Reply to
Statics
Not for me on my Mac.
Initially got an error message then the audio portion played but the screen was blank.
In any event the motor sounds fine and I presume it runs as advertised.
Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers
.mov is a QuickTime movie, dude... Available for Wintel boxen, but an Apple product. Unlike Microsoft, Apple has a long reputation for being practically "malware-proof". No need for that Active-X crap. Just QuickTime Player.
Reply to
Don Bruder
I haven't tried it on my PC upstairs, but my Mac ran it just fine. Cute little engine. I'm running OS 9.1 and QT 6.
GTO(John)
Reply to
GTO69RA4
7500/G4@350, OS 9.1, QT 4.something played it just fine.
I'm left wondering how long the little booger will last, though... Seems to be pretty high RPM (comparatively speaking) and the way the cylinder "jumps around", seemingly at random, doesn't bode well for having it survive more than a few runs of a few minutes each. Looks to me like a recipe for a cylinder being shaved *MIGHTY* thin in a big hurry.
I've been trying to figure out what material the piston/rod is, and what, if any, lubrication system it has. Nothing was blatantly visible for oiling, but...
Still, a neat little toy :)
Reply to
Don Bruder
So you have an upgrade too? I'm running a 9600/G3-400, fully loaded. No need to upgrade until my apps get too outdated.
The engine appears to be of the type using a ported rocking cylinder and no wrist pin. The randomness looks like it's from the camera (wagon wheels turning backwards, etc).
GTO(John)
Reply to
GTO69RA4
I know that, and have QT full version installed, but activeX asked if I wanted to allow activeX controls to run, answer is always no.
Reply to
Lennie the Lurker
Well its a great looking little engine. Good work to the student.
I don't know what it takes to view it but it shows up fine on 7 year oldd 300 dollar when new Emachine. That has never been damaged by anything over the internet. Of course I don't use outlook.
Garry
Reply to
Garry
I'll try to respond in order of comment: -Lennie-It is quicktime. I'm sorry it didn't run for you. -Statics-Thanks for pointing out the quicktime. -Shiver-Me-Timbers-The .mov was built on a new mac by one of our web magicians. -GTO69RA4-Your mac is my hero. :) -Don Bruder-We had the air cranked up to 20psi on that run. It has run at 12psi for over an hour at a stretch. Student has since graduated but he successfully demo'd it for an employer. The cylinder and block are lexan. Rod is aluminum and doubles as piston. Just luck for lube...It actually didn't heat up noticeably. Biggest problem was the spring rate on side opposite cylinder block. Had to seal cylinder to block but friction was a killer. -GTO69RA4-You are absolutely correct about the design and randomness. -Don Bruder-Thanks for locating the apps. I should have posted those on the site :( -Lennie-I'm useless for your apps problem. Sorry -Garry-Thank you for the encouragement. I'll pass the comment to the student.
This was a nice "take home" for a BS in Physics student.
Reply to
Phys Ken