spring-tempered stainless wire rings?

I have a sister who makes light fixtures as a cottage industry. She called me just now wanting to know how to go about getting or making stainless wire rings,
spring tempered, made from something like 16 ga. wire. I don't see any people who directly source rings in lampshade-sized dimensions (like 3" up) so now I'm wondering about making them.
What kind of stainless wire can be spring-tempered?
Is it possible to make a spring-tempered stainless ring using only O/A equipment? Or is TIG welding completely required?
Any bright ideas?
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington
Grant Erwin wrote:

Ideas -- you decide if they're bright:
* Yes, you can get SS spring steel. Check http://www.smallparts.com . The heat treat looks -- interesting. * Braze (or solder) instead of weld -- depending on the stainless. * Instead of the usual lamp loop with one wire, how about a double length of finer wire, and no weld/braze/anything? Strength wise it could easily add up to one welded loop, the amount of work required may add up to much less.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

O/A would be fine for silverbrazing, which works well on stainless.
A bandsaw blade welder would probably also work.
Don Foreman wrote:

Buy music wire to form. A home made spring machine for loops as you describe would be pretty easy to fabricate. Do NOT think you can get good consistent results by wrapping them on a spindle. What you need to do is force fee the wire against a die.
ASCII drawings suck but:
Wire moves--> --------------[ wire guide ]-/// <--Die
The die is hardened material and can move up and down (in/out) for different diameter coils. The wire is usually fed via pinch rollers.
You might be able to see it a little on http://www.nucoil.com/ I couldn't run the video so don't know if it shows any details. Of course these machines are CNC and do one heck of a lot more forming than you need
It'll TIG like a breeze if you're careful, run about 12 to 15 amps, and have a high-freq start. There will probably be a small blob though. A modified band saw welder might give better results if you want better end to end welds. Gas shield it if you use the blade welder though.
There is a really neat friction welder for non-ferrous wires available. It looks like a large pair of pliers that force the ends together and rub them at the same time. Welds are beautiful and it's kind of amazing that you can get such a good weld without any power but your hands. Only works on copper and brass though.
Oh yea...make sure you reference the diameter instead of just saying 16 gauge. Many suppliers use the Non-ferrous ga. for stainless wire instead of the US standard steel wire ga. Ya don't wanna be surprised on the dia when you get the material.
Koz
Koz Wrote:

You got me curious. Who makes this device? I may have an app fo something like this. I Googled every combination of words I coul think of but turned up nada.
Joep
-- Joepy

I googled
"handheld friction welder brass copper"
and got this:
http://www.read-wca.com/pwm.cfm
You can buy 302/304 SS spring wire(already hardened) in a multitude of sizes from Mcmaster. Look under "music wire" I have used it and it is tough stuff.
Randy

Music wire is good for springs, but it is not stainless.

Oh? Check McMasters pn 9495K36 ......Paul

Ya got me. I even looked at that page yesterday and didn't see the "music wire" note.
OK, some stainless spring wire (e.g. 9495K36 from McMaster) is of "music wire" temper -- but not all "music wire" is stainless. Music wire from Small Parts Inc is not stainless.

How much of what do you want, let me know...I'll get samples from my wire suppliers.
I have made stainless rings out of 1/8 inch stainless TIG rod. Just bent around a mandrel and silver soldered ( brazed ). The joint is almost invisible. This was from 308 stainless welding rod. I would suggest you get some stainless rod/wire, make a ring or two and then see if you really need something that can be spring tempered. If you really do need spring tempered ( and I doubt it ), 15-5 ph stainless is dead easy to heat treat.
If you do use silver soldering ( brazing ), try to get some silver solder that is recommended for stainless. Ditto the flux. Some stainless does not take silver solder very well, but there are some silver solders with a little nickel in them that are recommended for stainless.
Dan
Grant Erwin wrote:

Lamp shades are normally spring tempered to resist being dented. I'll keep your ideas about solder/flux specific to stainless in mind, thanks, Dan.
GWE
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Stainless wire is usually work hardened from being drawn to size. So it is not spring temper, but not annealed either. You might look at some 1/16th MIG wire and see if it is stiff enough.
Dan
Grant Erwin wrote:

Does she specifically need stainless? I can find several suppliers of lamp rings with a Google search but none of them actually say what their rings are made of:
In the picture provided these look like brass but it doesn't seem likely:
http://www.lampshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ls&Category_Code _01_WIRE_BOT
And these look to be steel of some sort:
http://mainelyshades.safeshopper.com/208/cat208.htm?227
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Seems to me you said you have a spot welder. I have the 110V version of the harbor freight welder and it works great for welding stainless wires together in an overlap. What I have in mind is to make a fixture to hold the wire to the tongs so the ends come together when you squeeze the handle. I was playing with the idea of making a fixture for doing bandsaw blades with mine, though I haven't had time to experiment yet. Glenn