spring-tempered stainless wire rings?

I have a sister who makes light fixtures as a cottage industry. She called me
just now wanting to know how to go about getting or making stainless wire rings,
spring tempered, made from something like 16 ga. wire. I don't see any people
who directly source rings in lampshade-sized dimensions (like 3" up) so now I'm
wondering about making them.
What kind of stainless wire can be spring-tempered?
Is it possible to make a spring-tempered stainless ring using only O/A
equipment? Or is TIG welding completely required?
Any bright ideas?
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Ideas -- you decide if they're bright:
* Yes, you can get SS spring steel. Check
The heat treat looks -- interesting. * Braze (or solder) instead of weld -- depending on the stainless. * Instead of the usual lamp loop with one wire, how about a double length of finer wire, and no weld/braze/anything? Strength wise it could easily add up to one welded loop, the amount of work required may add up to much less.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
O/A would be fine for silverbrazing, which works well on stainless.
A bandsaw blade welder would probably also work.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Buy music wire to form. A home made spring machine for loops as you describe would be pretty easy to fabricate. Do NOT think you can get good consistent results by wrapping them on a spindle. What you need to do is force fee the wire against a die.
ASCII drawings suck but:
Wire moves--> --------------[ wire guide ]-///
Reply to
Koz
You can buy 302/304 SS spring wire(already hardened) in a multitude of sizes from Mcmaster. Look under "music wire" I have used it and it is tough stuff.
Randy
Reply to
R. O'Brian
I have made stainless rings out of 1/8 inch stainless TIG rod. Just bent around a mandrel and silver soldered ( brazed ). The joint is almost invisible. This was from 308 stainless welding rod. I would suggest you get some stainless rod/wire, make a ring or two and then see if you really need something that can be spring tempered. If you really do need spring tempered ( and I doubt it ), 15-5 ph stainless is dead easy to heat treat.
If you do use silver soldering ( brazing ), try to get some silver solder that is recommended for stainless. Ditto the flux. Some stainless does not take silver solder very well, but there are some silver solders with a little nickel in them that are recommended for stainless.
Dan
Grant Erw> I have a sister who makes light fixtures as a cottage industry. She called me
Reply to
dcaster
Lamp shades are normally spring tempered to resist being dented. I'll keep your ideas about solder/flux specific to stainless in mind, thanks, Dan.
GWE
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
You got me curious. Who makes this device? I may have an app fo something like this. I Googled every combination of words I coul think of but turned up nada.
Joep
-- Joepy
Reply to
Joepy
Does she specifically need stainless? I can find several suppliers of lamp rings with a Google search but none of them actually say what their rings are made of:
In the picture provided these look like brass but it doesn't seem likely:
And these look to be steel of some sort:
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
Reply to
Keith Marshall
Seems to me you said you have a spot welder. I have the 110V version of the harbor freight welder and it works great for welding stainless wires together in an overlap. What I have in mind is to make a fixture to hold the wire to the tongs so the ends come together when you squeeze the handle. I was playing with the idea of making a fixture for doing bandsaw blades with mine, though I haven't had time to experiment yet. Glenn
Reply to
Glenn
Ya got me. I even looked at that page yesterday and didn't see the "music wire" note.
OK, some stainless spring wire (e.g. 9495K36 from McMaster) is of "music wire" temper -- but not all "music wire" is stainless. Music wire from Small Parts Inc is not stainless.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Stainless wire is usually work hardened from being drawn to size. So it is not spring temper, but not annealed either. You might look at some 1/16th MIG wire and see if it is stiff enough.
Dan
Grant Erw> Lamp shades are normally spring tempered to resist being dented. I'll keep your
Reply to
dcaster

Site Timeline