Source for spring wire

I'm looking for a source for some 32 AWG* phosphor bronze spring wire. Either in or near Seattle or mail order. I need at most 50 feet (that will provide some allowance for a few experiments).

Alternately, a locksmith supply that will sell some springs for pin and tumbler locks (which is what I'm trying to rebuild).

  • 0.008 inch, 0.202 mm
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Are these standard springs for pin and tumbler locksets?

Check with eBay and Amazon for tool, pin, and spring kits.

$25-60, depending on mfgr

has good prices and large selection. They sell on eBay, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't know about 'standard'. I'm trying to rebuild some locksets used on an old Porsche. Which is an oddball style key (BMW may have used these as well).

I know the relaxed spring diameter (0.068"), length (0.277") and number of turns (10). So if I could locate some with these dimensions, that would probably do.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

We bought small springs from Lee Spring and Century Spring, over the years at work. Both are online, and both will make customs if you need them. Can you buy a replacement lockset from Porsche and then either rekey it or scavenge it for parts :-)?

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Larry Jaques wrote:

I don't know about 'standard'. I'm trying to rebuild some locksets used on an old Porsche. Which is an oddball style key (BMW may have used these as well).

I know the relaxed spring diameter (0.068"), length (0.277") and number of turns (10). So if I could locate some with these dimensions, that would probably do.

Reply to
Carl Ijames

One could either buy a brand new American car -or- a single lock for an old Porsche for about the same cost, I'll bet.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have the old lockset. Took it apart and it appears that some of the springs had gotten gummed up and bent to where the 'pins' (its actually a really oddball setup) would not return. Replacing the bad springs should fix it.

I probably could cannabalize some old locksets (maybe not even Porsche) for springs. I was just hoping to find the wire and make some myself. Winding them around a sewing needle should work. But that wire is tough to find.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Strip the outer shell from a bronze wrapped guitar string?

It's a size used for high E strings as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Go to a locksmith supply store in any major city. They have repair parts for just about anything of the kind. And lots of locksmiths will sell such things as well, and/or tell you where to look.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn