Source for odd spring clip

I'm looking for a spring steel clip similar to a clip nut. It's designed to go on a plastic tab and hold it in a slot. Most of this type of thing goes over the tab and adds spring tabs to the sides of the plastic tab. This one is different in that it extends the tab with a "J" shaped spring that goes on the slot.

In my case the plastic tab is about 3/4" wide and 1/16" thick. The J part of the clip is about 3/8" wide and 1/2" long

This is used on my 1998 Olds Silhouette van. It goes on the end of a tab on parking light/Turn signal assembly that goes into a slot on the headlight assembly.

The dealer will happily sell me the $60 light assembly with this 32 cent part installed. The local auto parts places used to have a lot of this stuff but seem to have almost none anymore. I've Googled every descriptive combination that comes to mind with no effect. Any (anatomically possible) suggestions about where to look?

Thanks,

Oz

Reply to
Rich Osman

Try

They are a supplier of specialty automotive fasteners. Once you ID the part, you might even find a distributor in your area that will sell you less than a package.

Have you tried wrecking yards? If the light is broken it's worthless to them, they would probably be OK with getting a couple of bucks for the clip.

Reply to
Bill Marrs

It sounds like a form of Tinnerman Nut. Or rather, the folk that make tinnerman nuts also make this kind of stuff. Google on "tinnerman nut" and look around at the vendors that turn up.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Thanks Bill,

It looks like they might have it. I've ID'd something at least similar. Now to find a local disty.

I've had really poor luck with this sort of thing locally. Most of the locals are pick and pull (get guided out to the car being parted and point to what you want.) There's little they will do for less than $25.

Bill Marrs wrote:

Reply to
Rich Osman

If you don't mind being just a 'lil bit shady....

If you find what you need on a manufacturer's website try asking them for a few samples (In maybe a couple of sizes to make the request more realistic.)

If you've already got got a company name that sounds believable, use it. If not, make one up like "Avogadro Design Group". That one has worked "numbers" of times for me.

It's amazing how helpful sales department folks can become if they think it may lead to a sale.

Jeff (Who denies everything I just wrote.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm not too proud to just call them and tell the absolute truth. It works well more often than not. Of course I also tell them I work for Nokia...

Reply to
Rich Osman

Try a body shop, especially some old guy who has been around forever...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

And "Inventory Management Assistant" get a lot more attention than "Stockboy"! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Just about any body shop. (like Jerry said!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Look for an outfit that sells the Motormite / Dorman HELP line.

Steve W.

I've had good luck finding OEM-specific trim parts at body-shop supply places and auto paint suppliers, some have more, some have less. One local outfit is more of an interior trim supplier, custom seat covers, carpeting and head liners, but they have more hardware than anyone else. Some will do onesies, some will only sell you full boxes. 32 cents is cheap, think more in terms of a buck or more in box lots. This is one time that living in a major metro area pays off.

Or you can find a U-pull-it and scrounge. Every time I go out there, I pick up screws and door panel retainers for future use. Most guys don't save the fasteners when going after their dream part.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Try

They have all sorts of oddball stuff. They have a competitor part number cross-reference on their web page.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry