Anyone got the metal clip from a Fordson fuel tap?

Hi all,

I'm looking for the metal clip which secures the rotating part of the fuel tap on a Fordson Super Major. I haven't actually seen the clip, but judging from the body of the tap it's a ring of spring steel about 5/8" in diameter with both ends turned inwards where they meet. Anyone know what this part is called and where I might get one? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Why not use a circlip from a small piston or propshaft u/j or make one from one coil cut out of a 5/8" diameter spring.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Perhaps I should clarify: I imagine it's a ring of spring steel wire - perhaps 1/16" wire - with the diameter of the ring being 5/8".

Or maybe it isn't. I'm just guessing. Maybe a Fordson expert here can tell me exactly what the part looks like and what it's called?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've just had a look at the one on ebay and to me it looks like the wire clip is shaped like one of those 'lemon' clips and the protrusions spring out into those slots?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I guess I could. But whether I could cut and bend a spring accurately to make the clip I don't know.

I now wonder if the clip isn't quite as I imagined. I found this Fordson fuel tap for sale on eBay:

Now it doesn't look like there's a clip around the outside of the tap body in that picture. Perhaps the clip fits inside the tap body and has a couple of protrusions which hold the plastic part of the tap in place?

Maybe I should just buy the one on eBay, but it's against my inclinations because it seems like it should be an easy fix.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Maybe collar some tractor types at one of the shows or ploughing matches, I've seen stalls at autojumbles dedicated to tractor spares, but it should be easy to make with 2 pairs of small pliers (like the snipe nosed variety), some springy wire and some patience. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:20:33 +0000, Christopher Tidy finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I don't know, but I know a man who might............ Try

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Probably so. Any idea where I might get one?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks. I've e-mailed him.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Well, I decided to buy a new fuel tap as I couldn't find the "lemon" clip anywhere...

I'm glad I did actually. While fitting the new tap I discovered that the old tap only allowed the fuel to be delivered slowly - whether it was fully open or fully closed!

A blocked up filter meant that the fuel couldn't be delivered quickly, and a damaged seal meant that you couldn't stop the flow completely. So all in all the old tap was well and truly busted!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Yeah - the tank on my Mk15 Villiers is the same. The engine runs out of steam after about six or seven minutes. I thought it was the condenser or coil, but no, simply the tap hole partially blocked. It would help if the filter gauze was in place, but it's long gone, of course!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn