Honda Generators

It would have been about year 2000, give or take a year. We had a winter time power cut. A friend of mine had water in the cellar. He could not stay
ahead of the water, with buckets. Carpet in the cellar got wet. His brother was out of town, had a generator in the garage, but it would not start. Old gasoline. I gave it a spray of ether in the air intake, and it fired right up, old gas and all. I can't afford a Honda, but I do like them. My Dad had a Honda for a while, and he really liked it.

Mmmm I like the idea of a keeping a bottle of ether around for a standby generator..
I rotate my backup gasoline at least yearly, by dumping it into one of the cars and refilling the storage tank with gas+Stabill. I also use that gas during the year for smal motors like lawn mower and chainsaws, Have about 20 gallons stashed that way.
But I'm looking to convert a generator to propane and just have a bunch of propane tanks as backup Propane doesn't go bad like gasoline.
On 8/2/2012 10:30 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

I used to install and service a lot of home backup generators and even converted a few gasoline generators to run on natural gas. The small engine shop in town sold me the conversion kits and the kits worked out very well with the typical portable 5kw contractor generators. ^_^
TDD
I have a Yamaha that never fails. If I have a start problem with any gas engine, I found that a shot of cheap carb cleaner also acts like ether for easy starting. There are gas additives to prolong gasoline life in the tank.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, Up here in cold weather every one loves Honda for ease of starting.
On 8/2/2012 10:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

As little as I use it, I couldn't justify the Honda either. So I splurged a hundred bucks on the little Chicago 800 watt 2 stroke toy at Harbor Freight.
It has only been used to run a pressure washer and fans while working on the boat. It has never missed a beat though.
Sounds like you got your money out of it. Glad to hear.
As little as I use it, I couldn't justify the Honda either. So I splurged a hundred bucks on the little Chicago 800 watt 2 stroke toy at Harbor Freight.
It has only been used to run a pressure washer and fans while working on the boat. It has never missed a beat though.
On 8/2/2012 9:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

LOL! My small shop vac gave all for this job. It was attached to the palm sander to keep the blue fug down (copper based bottom paint - ionic copper!)
100+ degrees temps, and a 300 foot extension cord were listed as contributing causes. I doubt we were getting 90 VAC there.
The shop vac was $30. The pressure washer cost $100. Seemed like it was gonna cost a hundred bucks either way, so now I have a generator (of sorts) to boot.
Might come in handy, for the next power cut. Run the furnace, and some lights.
LOL! My small shop vac gave all for this job. It was attached to the palm sander to keep the blue fug down (copper based bottom paint - ionic copper!)
100+ degrees temps, and a 300 foot extension cord were listed as contributing causes. I doubt we were getting 90 VAC there.
The shop vac was $30. The pressure washer cost $100. Seemed like it was gonna cost a hundred bucks either way, so now I have a generator (of sorts) to boot.

The clerk at HF said they were only returned for being too loud.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

One nice thing about Honda generators is that they're quiet.
That quietness enables you to hear all your neighbor's generators during a power outage.
On 8/3/2012 7:03 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Keeps the generator thieves from looking for one at your place during a disaster. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Oooh! Good point! But, if you can't hear the generator, how do you know it's gone?... Never mind.
I have burglar-bar doors and chain my generator to the door. For others, it seems trivial to sink an eye-bolt to the brick facade (or similar).

We are supposed to keep generators away from any structure for their fire and carbon monoxide hazards, and protected from the weather.
On 8/3/2012 11:46 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've installed many a generator inside a structure. The exhaust is piped outside and a ventilation fan runs off generator power. Of course regular inspections are necessary along with a carbon monoxide detector. The cooling air for the genset can also be ducted to facilitate ventilation. The indoor installations are often much more secure. ^_^
TDD
HeyBub wrote:

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I've wondered how real that threat is, when your little generator tries to drive everyone else's furnace, refrigerator motor and electric water heater loads. Maybe there is a spike before the breaker pops. Anyway here the linemen ground the 19.9 KV line before doing anything else.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

With a big enough genset the threat is real . As I showed the guys that repaired my line the last time , when I close the main from the pole my genset dies from the load . The neighbors around here don't shut anything down , and the start load has been known to trip mains in the substations ... Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??
--
Snag
Learning keeps