Honda Generators

One hit my high school in the late '60s. It blew out over 1,000 panes of glass, leveled the most of the light standards on the football field and lifted the gym roof. The two story press box lost the upper deck, and the lower deck was badly damaged. Most of the school busses were parked inside & under the stadium seats or the light standards would have crushed them.

That was on a Saturday afternoon. We were in classes on Monday even though it was cold, and there were no lights in most of the campus. It took over three weeks to replace all of the glass, and a couple more weeks for other repairs. They had to wait almost nine months for the new light standards. to be built and erected. It was amazing to see inch thick wall steel pipe bent like that.

That summer, a dry power transformer burnt in the transformer vault, and left almost half the campus without power. Temporary lines ran from one wing to another for lights only, but idiot teachers kept tripping the 400A three phase 208 VAC breaker by trying to use TVs and other items.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Rules? Strommin' drools. ;)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Like the women in an office who plug that little electric heater under their desk into the UPS for their computer. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

...and they're so likely to send trucks into an area where there is doubt that they'll come back (soon).

Reply to
krw

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the street, they're closed.

Reply to
krw

Or complain that the computer shuts down when they turn on a laser printer?

The wood barracks we used in basic would blow a fuse if someone turned on a radio, while someone else was using an electric razor.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you have any idea how long the state of Florida is, and how many tanker loads of gasoline it takes to evacutate an area? FEMA stopped gasoline deliveries to Florida in the last round of huricanes that hit this area. They were sitting along I 75, across the state border.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You don't need to go back that far. They are getting more common in the NE year after year-- a fairly big one in western MA last summer; One in western NY last week-- and the scroller on the TV is reporting one in the Catskills as I type this.

I'm happy to say I haven't been within miles of one-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Maybe in Alabamaistan or NY, but the newer public buildings in this area are built to be hurricane shelters.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Umm. Nevermind.

Reply to
krw

Or Georgia, or Ohio, or Illinois, or Vermont. None. Even the ones with fallout shelters. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Everyone has their priorities.

Reply to
krw

Here in the First World the main roads will be clear enough for fire trucks and school buses within two days max. Snow plows and bucket loaders push the fallen trees aside.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not a problem. There have been a few times I really wish folks would just leave the area. Makes it much easier to do the job and leave when you don't have tourists "wondering what's going on"...

Reply to
Steve W.

The local schools around me are hit/miss on who does have back-up power. The local one did have until they added on to the place.

A couple others nearby have either fixed units or huge portables (ex-military surplus usually)

Some got grants and insurance funding after the floods and added power on as they discovered being a storm shelter doesn't work very well without power.

Reply to
Steve W.

Um, that's my point.

Reply to
krw

I remember schools in Ohio with them. Not big enough to run everything, but big enough for the school to function.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

These are the same as those huge Diesel generators they use at Cell towers.

You can see one in this image, to the right side of the roof. It's the yellow rectangle that's parallel to the highway.

Michael A. Terrell

Most of the Honda Generators around here, are near ground level.

.

I've had one skip over me at a higher altitude, it's a strange sight. O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We used to have a Honda generator, my Dad had.

Christ>

Or marbles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon