Bad Gas

I got about three gallons of mixed gas and oil in my boat tank. It is old. OLD! I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I can't burn it slowly in a gas engine, as I have a diesel, and SWMBO has a TBird that takes high octane gas. All my other gas engines would take forever to burn three gallons. Where can I dispose of it? Maybe build a burner, and just let it burn for a few days? In my neck of the woods, burning is banned because of recent multi million dollar wildfires.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Here, we have "household hazardous waste facility" to handle stuff like this for residents of the city. They figure it is better this way than have people use their own methods.

Reply to
grmiller

"Steve B" on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:37:56 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

A) wait till winter/wetter weather. Burn all you want, then. (I used to dispose of used oil starting bonfires on the beach.)

B) see if your locality has a "hazmat disposal day" for such things.

C) put it in an open bucket and let it evaporate.

D) "oil" your driveway, Or boat shed. Use it to kill weeds.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Good suggestion.

Having said that, personally I wouldn't hesitate to add a gallon at a time into the ford product (only add to nearly full tankfuls [1]) . But thats just me; YMMV.

Erik

[1] However, I wouldn't do it if contaminated with water, loads of particulates, or any other loathsome spooge.
Reply to
Erik

Craigslist has a "Free" section. Someone will come get it.

Reply to
Denis G.

Just pour it into an oil change pan and set it out in the sun.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Near me, they have a fire station that accepts household wastes like this on Sundays. It is free.

Ignoramus21660

I burn all old gas in my pick-up truck. I add it to new fuel, I try not to make it more than 30% of the mix.

Ignoramus21660

Well then, is there any rush? I'd get a separate gas can or drum to keep it isolated in, and do the mix-in method on one of the gasoline engine devices in Very Small Quantities because of the added oil, say under 5% at a time.

And run it through a ultra-fine fuel filter water separator cartridge filter first. The kind you use on boats. Not cheap, but you can keep using it for several years, put it on the Transfer Pump outlet.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

You can also bend and weld up a 4X4 burn pan out of 1/8" Plate and invite the neighbors over to practice Fire Extinguisher techniques.

There is nothing that builds confidence more than actually doing it - then they'll know what to expect when the real thing happens, rather than just run away and watch the house burn down.

Be sure to have them bring whatever they have around the house to the practice round. Someone will bring a few crappy Plastic Head Kidde's, I'm sure you'll try to blow them off and find at least one dud that doesn't work in the pile. Let that be a lesson that you can't buy crap if it has to work in an emergency.

Get a pile of business cards from a local Extinguisher Shop, and work out a nice price for Amerex 417's (or other quality units) for cars, and 500's or bigger for house and garage.

$35 2.5# extinguisher, $20,000 car - a few $40 5# extinguishers, a $1M house - both seem like a no-brainer to me...

And when everyone's had their turn and there's still gasoline left...

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Donate it to a friend, who's got an older gasoline vehicle.

.

Well then, is there any rush? I'd get a separate gas can or drum to keep it isolated in, and do the mix-in method on one of the gasoline engine devices in Very Small Quantities because of the added oil, say under 5% at a time.

And run it through a ultra-fine fuel filter water separator cartridge filter first. The kind you use on boats. Not cheap, but you can keep using it for several years, put it on the Transfer Pump outlet.

-->--

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The local (to you) FD may take the gas mix, for just this reason.

.

[...]

How much oil? At the usual 50::1 it will amount to less then a cup of oil. It will burn and 3 gallons in a full tank of "new gas" won't even be noticeable. I used to get rid of old outboard gas that way and couldn't tell the difference between a few gallons of outboard gas in a full tank and a tank full without the outboard gas.

Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

That will get rid of it.

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash parts :-) Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

Gee, you like global warming, don't you? All those chemicals in the stratosphere?

Gasoline as parts washer? Bad idea, you might have gotten some grease and oil into the gasoline.

.

That will get rid of it.

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash parts :-) Cheers, John B.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you really sure that evaporating 3 gallons of gasoline is going to melt the Greenland Ice Cap?

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

The stuff sold today as "gasoline" is NOT the same stuff used for generations.

Reply to
Richard

If you hadn't dumped the oil in it you could have used it to wash

You're joking, right?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Are you really sure that evaporating 3 gallons of gasoline is going to melt the Greenland Ice Cap?

CY: Happened last night. Didn't you see the news?

Since when? Gasoline has been used to wash parts for generations.

CY: He's supposed to write back "silly, it's just going to get MORE oil in it...."

Cheers, John B.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The last time I tried it still washed parts pretty well :-) But the damned stuff is getting too expensive to wash parts with.

Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.