Honda Generators

Now, that makes good sense. You'd need some kind of recognizable clothing, and some kind of structure. And, it sure could work. Sadly, I have been wondering if FEMA is designed to prevent aid from reaching disasters.

I've been part of a relief effort. They handed out yellow vests that said "Mormon Helping Hands".

.

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps. Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the military in times of disaster. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Might help with the economic depression, too?

.

Combine that with the old CCC & WPA and you might have something. They would have enough work to stay busy, while they learned the needed skills to help in emergencies.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think you're right. One more evidence, of the Oh Bomb Us admin lack of real efforts to relieve the depression.

.

In theory, wasn't Ameri-Corps suppose to do something like this?

-- pyotr filipivich Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look for, where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The kids can go without math, science, english, all that academic foo foo rah, but you need lights for the football field, and hot showers for after games and workouts.

Sadly, I know a number of people who seem to have this attitude.

Reply to
David J. Hughes

If you went to the store, and bought a box of brownie mix. Came home, and it was full of macaroni and cheese. Would you think that's OK?

.

Why the f*ck do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, you go to the book store. You buy a book which is entitled "Tom Swift, and the Space Machine". You go home and open the book, which turns out to be the manual for M-1 Garand rifles. You OK with that?

.

Why the f*ck do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It doesn't much matter, if the subject lines are consistent with the text body. You can also group the messages by date sent, and that makes fairly good sense.

.

Why the f*ck do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you for trimming old text. Sure is easier than scrolling through endless chicken scratches.

.

Why the f*ck do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .This space intentionally left blank. . . . . . . . . . . . .Do not remove except by consumer. . . . . . . . . . . .Do not use in shower. . . . . . .

.

Why the f*ck do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

No, if I -paid- for it, but I don't quibble with free food or the subject of other peoples' conversations.

The content, maybe.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Depends largely on the disaster. For somethings like tornadoes they are mainly used as cops to patrol areas with some civil engineering type things (generators, clean waters, etc) tossed in. For floods the same plus often help with defense issues such as filling and moving around sandbags.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A left in my stash:

Visit news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if you need old parts. Lots of tube radio collectors can point you to what you need. There is a Yahoo antique radio group, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why do you whiny GGers need to curse like a four year old? We already know you aren't very bright.

Get a real news server and the right software, instead of GG's increasingly useless HTML spam portal that's set up to be as useless as possible, while trying to make it look like Usenet is something Google owns. Learn to use something that can actually thread messages. There is plenty of free software, and free or dirt cheap news servers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Real jobs are better than welfare, any day.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's extremely likely that those who shun the military would also be adverse to hard work, so your idea - a good one in theory - would wither from lack of participation.

Reply to
HeyBub

Get the government boot off the corporate neck?

Christ>

Real jobs are better than welfare, any day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The computers. Today's lesson plans DEPEND on student computer activity.

One student asked me (probably a teacher-fed question): "What kind of jobs are available in the computer field"?

I blinked twice and responded:

"Jobs? You've got computers on your desk. You'll probably get a grade on my presentation. Heck, you can't even be a little kid in elementary school without the use of computers. By the time you graduate, there'll be buttons on shovel handles! Jobs? Instead talk about just being able to LIVE."

Reply to
HeyBub

Man, I don't remember the last time I worked on anything that had tubes in except for CRT's. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think you missed the point, all soldiers don't hold a tank when they present arms. There are many different jobs to be done that don't require heavy equipment. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

get the morons out of office, no matter what party they belong to. The first requirement to run for office should be a good work history, followed by a full disclosure of their personal and family medical history. All grades, from grade school forward be made public. IOW, demand the 'transparency' we were promised in 2008.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell