Headband eyeglasses?

I'm assembling a little metal thing under a microscope right now.

It's very time-consuming, switching between eyeglasses for reading documentation and bare eyeballs for using the microscope.

Casual Googling did not reveal a way to speed this up, say a headband frame to allow me to quickly flip my glasses up, and just as quickly back in place. I use and like my Optivisor headband magnifiers but their +10 diopter magnification is still too little for the work I'm doing.

Suggestions, spelling corrections, political libel?

Thanks

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Get a cheap pair from Zenni. Spec the reading lens for your weak eye, and no correction for the microscope eye. In either case, you'll be looking through one eye. But, with the microscope, you're doing that already.

Or take an old pair of glasses, and push the microscope side lens out, pushing forward on the lens.

.

It's very time-consuming, switching between eyeglasses for reading documentation and bare eyeballs for using the microscope.

Casual Googling did not reveal a way to speed this up, say a headband frame to allow me to quickly flip my glasses up, and just as quickly back in place. I use and like my Optivisor headband magnifiers but their +10 diopter magnification is still too little for the work I'm doing.

Suggestions, spelling corrections, political libel?

Thanks

--Winston

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I honestly can't see why it would be "very time-consuming", since I do this sort of thing. Just park the glasses, not folded, in a consistent location near the scope that's not in the way of your arms, and pop them on when you get off the scope - takes me less than a second.

Most glasses only "flip" the lenses up (you can search on that) and you still have the frames, which in most cases will interfere with the microscope eyepieces.

You could get long, straight (bayonet?) temples for sliding the whole frame up your head if you preferred. My headshape at least does not do a great job of this with normal behind the ear temples. Or put a cord/chain on the temples and drop them on your chest.

There are various spendy options as well, with various tradeoffs, that might let you use your reading glasses on the scope or scope equivalent. The video-microscope is usually cheapest (may be free if you already own a video camera with macro abilities, though it sounds like you really need a microscope video eyepiece adapter rather than a macro lens), but it has the "not stereo" disadvantage.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

The 'scope is stereo (and I need all the pixels I can get).

I *could* hinge two old pair of glasses together to make my own 'flip up' glasses, perhaps. I shall ponder.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Bench space is at a premium, so I've recently taken to parking my specs on my bald spot so I can lean over the microscope. As you imply, it is faster than putting them anywhere else, but I still would like to be able to ungoggle and goggle in milliseconds, not two or more seconds. This assembly uses about 100 pieces so I really want to save a lot of my "prime time".

I concur.

An alligator clip jumper on the back of the temples and draped down my back counter-balances my specs when perched on the rear top of my head. It's much faster than anything else I've tried, but I'm convinced it could be faster still, given the cumulative nature of the delay.

That might work. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I rotate my glasses up onto my head.

Croakies?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yup. Those two concepts have become my workaround until someone buys me a stereo microscope.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What you need is something like the military uses for NVGs for a ground pounder.

Similar to this

Could probably be made from a light headband and a hinge

Reply to
Steve W.

Could you get a 14" or 20" working distance lens to read the documentation with the Optivisor?

The ones I grab most often have 14" #3 lenses and a swing-down closeup lens. I've soldered a whole lot of surface mount with them, mostly

0805 and 0603 caps and resistors and 0.5mm pitch ICs. The 8" #5 is nice to inspect the fit of a thread gauge etc but it's kinda too close for comfort on the lathe or mill.

My best vision is at 18-20". When I was young I could read the states around top of the Lincoln Memorial on a $5 bill.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

(...)

I'm much more in lust with the Mantis Elite stereo scope.

Probably about the same money as that head mounted binocular.

Ooooo. Baby.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(Well, I've *got* a nice stereo microscope. Here I was referring to the Mantis Elite. Ooooo. Baby.

My vision was *never* that good. :)

I really like my 10 diopter Optivisors but the working distance and lack of magnification make them non-starters for me, now. Back 'in the day' they were perfectly fine for my SMT projects. Not any more, though.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey, EIGHT EYES!

-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hyuk!

--Winston