There's a kind of microscope which you can fit in eg the chuck of a pillar drill or mill, adjust the position of the workpiece so a scribed mark is central, then replace it with a drill bit - which seems to me to be the best way to do accurate drilling, though there are other methods, eg wigglers or lasers.

But what is the correct name for such a microscope? Anyone got one for sale?


-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
Loading thread data ...

It's pretty easy to just make a mount for a webcam and use that.


Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I had thought of that, but it would mean having a computer and screen available to view the results as well as the webcam. Plus oblique lighting, and so on ..

Got too many darnn computers already :(

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Hemingway do a kit for a Centering Microscope

formatting link


Reply to

Toolmakers centering microscope.See them on Ebay back and forward.My views is there are better and more accurate ways to pick up centres nowadays.These things are a throwback to how things were done before the electronic age. Mark.

Reply to

.Fairly recently, there was a MEW article on something called CentreCam. I had an aged laptop and bought a webcam.

I believe that I paid =A320 for the use but for there was a free use program. For three quid or so for the webcam and a laptop which was knackered, it is worth having a go.

You will need a fairly high end windows program like XP because it wont run on W98- or would not run on mine. In the blurb there was problems in lighting but my 'computer fair' webcam had pretty lights built in.

Cheapest deal in this economic climate


Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.