What is it? Set 452

I need some help with the second and third items this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2623 Foam nozzle attachment for fire-fighting?
Reply to
Dennis

2623 looks like it fits onto a fire service hose and looks like it might be a mister

the others dunno atm

Robin

Reply to
Robin Halligan

2623 - Foam expansion nozzle. Used to create large amounts of foam for firefighting. Works just like the little bubble wands sold as toys. Foam concentrate in the water stream picks up large amounts of air and hits the screen at the end creating lot's of bubbles. Newer versions are much easier to handle and use. 2624 -

2625 - Part of a coal fired furnace/boiler. Uses a small amount of gas (propane/natural gas) to ignite the coal in the unit. Works like a normal gas burner in a grill/stove.

2626 - Hose clamping pliers. Used on small rubber lines.

2627 - Looks sort of like an old polished metal mirror, but the proportion of the base are strange.

2628 -
Reply to
Steve W.
2623, I've never used one of these, but I know what it is. Hint: it's sideways, the end on the ground goes toward the fire. 2624, no clue 2625, no clue 2626, probably hose shut off pliers. They are used to clamp shut a piece of soft tubing. 2627, no clue 2628, holds yarn, for a knitting machine

Good selection. A couple have me totally stumped.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's what I figured.

.

2623 Foam nozzle attachment for fire-fighting?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

The first item is definitely a foaming nozzle.

The lantern-like brass device appears to be a gas or acetylene (carbide) lamp.

Note the oriface at the bottom of the reflector, and the chimney above the oriface.

The stand could serve as a water chamber and generator for carbide conversion to acetylene.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I need some help with the second and third items this week:

Rob

2626 that is a clamp for stopping flow on rubber hoses. I have one. Used it a lot when doing appliance repair. WW
Reply to
WW

2627 looks like it might be a reflector for a candle. The candle would go inside the tubes. It looks like the middle tube can slide into the lower one to adjust the height as the candle burns.
Reply to
anorton

Correct, that's what the guy selling it said it was.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, I think it's part of an old furnace or stove but others have said it's from a car, haven't been able to prove either one yet.

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, you can see a candle and wick at the bottom of the reflector.

Reply to
Rob H.

2623) Never seen one of these before, but the combination of the color and the shutoff valve lever at the top as shown suggests that this is a piece of fire-fighting apparatus.

And overall, it looks to me as though it is intended to dispense foam, or at least a fine mist, instead of the usual stream of water. Perhaps part of an airport's crash handling equipment.

2624) Looks like a part of a ratchet which can be removed from the side.

2625) A burner for use with coal gas, perhaps.

2626) A pinch-off tool for things like rubber or soft plastic hoses. Perhaps fuel lines. It locks at any given level of squeeze.

Mechanically, it could be used for pinching off veins and arteries during surgery, but the materials are not right for something which needs to be sterilized frequently.

2627) A candle powered spotlight. The reflector needs to be polished for better efficiency. I think that the candle (or is it an oil lamp?) is spring-loaded to keep the flame at the focus point of the reflector.

2628) Something intended for winding up and dispensing string, yarn, rope, or wire. The crescent moons should be rotated to the vertical position as shown in the later photos, and the wire or whatever is wound around the four crescents. The adjustable radius allows for more length per turn, and also allows for handling stiffer things which would not like to be bent to the smaller radius which you would get with the arms set at their innermost points.

I suspect that for most uses, the pivot point would need to be mounted firmly on a tripod or on the top of a workbench.

Now to post this and see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Concerning the two unidentified items this week, I think we are close on the preheater, the other item could be a part from some type of machine, if so it would be difficult to to find its exact purpose.

The answers for the rest of this set can be seen here:

Rob H.

down so the weigh bar don't bang up and down when someone drives on the scale.

Reply to
Ralph

I was thinking it had something to do with weighing, but the direction of the handle is wrong for releasing under load. For example a trip release on a primitive bag filling machine... A simple safety lock as you suggest would not have this problem, however I guessing it slid into place rather than pivoting.

Reply to
William Bagwell