What is it? Set 455

I need some help with the second item this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2642 might be good for cutting rubber tubing at 90 degrees. You'd need a tool like a checker with a dowel glued through the center at right angles. The diameter of the dowel should be the inside diameter of the tubing and small enough to go through the small end of the slot.

If you put the dowel through the slot from the far side, holding the checker against the unseen face of the tool should keep the dowel perpendicular to the blade.

With the dowel coming through the big end of the slot, slide the tubing on from the near side. Depending on the position of the blade relative to the slot, pushing the checker to the small end could cause the blade to cut through the tubing to the dowel. Slide the checker back to the big end, rotate it a few degrees, and repeat. You could end up with the tubing cut off evenly at 90 degrees.

Reply to
J Burns
2641 I've seen some gas valves that used a slot wrench with a shape like these, but I suspect these are for something else.

Alexander Thesoso
2641, wrenches or shut off tools, of some kind. As to what, that's beyond my knowledge. 2642, we can barely see the edges of the razor blade. Looks like the center part turns, and cuts off something that sticks through the tear drop shaped holes. Not sure why there is a flat base, so it looks like it can sit on a desk or shelf when not used. 2643, roofer's hatchet. I've seen these in use, over the years. 2644, don't know. 2645, vehicle gear shift handle, for dog lover. 2646, spaghetti extruder, and cut off.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2642 - Likely a pencil sharpener/honer

2645 - a bench dog! Or maybe the top of a cane?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2642 could be used to trim the ends of plastic optical fiber to make a smooth end before connecting. Like these tools:
It also might be used as a wire stripper, or to remove the sheething from small coax cable.
Reply to
anorton

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:

2641) A tool for drilling a hole or tightening/loosening a nut or bolt in a restricted location -- working around obstructing beams.

2642) Looks like a microtome (thin slicing tool for samples to go under a microscope. In this case, it would be for stems of foliage which would be placed through one of the teardrop holes, the blade holder would be rotated to force the sample into the narrow end of the teardrop, and then slice it.

Then you would move the sample a little farther into the teardrop and repeat, producing a thin slice of the stem to be mounted on a glass slide and studied under the microscope.

It might also be a tool for preparing stems for splicing.

2643) 6" long seems rather small for this tool, unless it is perhaps 6" from blade to hammer head.

Otherwise, it looks like a hammer, hatchet, and nail puller.

If the 6" is overall length -- head to handle, perhaps it is used for model making.

2644) The instructions printed on the paper suggest that this is a part of a more complex device.

The shape of the paper is about that of a transfer stub from a bus, which suggests that the holder fits into something on the farebox.

The numbers along the top suggest a punch hole is placed to show where in the hour this was issued.

Exactly what the "length of letters" text is about, I have no idea.

2645) Hood ornament for a Mack truck?

Handle for a custom shift lever or a walking stick are other options.

2646) Strange device. It sort of looks like a part of a meat grinder, except that I'm not sure why the blank plate between the two plates with different sized perforations.

Now to post this and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don't know if this is correct or not but I'll pass it on to the owner.

Reply to
Rob H.

They do look similar but the ones on my site are not gas valve wrenches.

Reply to
Rob H.

the second item this week:

It looks like a roofer's hatchet but it's only 6" long, so this one has a different use.

Reply to
Rob H.

I like the bench dog idea but that's not correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

A few people have suggested it could be a wire stripper but I haven't been able to find any others like it.

Reply to
Rob H.

You're correct about it being part of a more complex device, but it isn't related to bus transfer tickets.

Reply to
Rob H.

I like the suggestion. For stripping the jacket -- and the braided shielding from coax cables -- at a guess in the size range from RG-174 (a little over 1/8" diameter) up through perhaps RG-59 (close to

5/16" diameter). It would need a larger opening to handle RG-8 and similar.

The two similar sides could be set up so one cuts deep enough to go through both the jacket and the shield, and the other only through the shield -- but setting the projection of the razor blade would be tricky at best.

It is common to have a specific length of center conductor and insulation projecting, then another shorter length of braided shielding before getting to the fully jacketed remainder of the cable. But I don't see anything serving as a settable depth stop for each cut.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Turns out that your original guess is correct, it's been verified that it's a slicer for microscopes.

Reply to
Rob H.
2643 could be a toffee hammer, used for breaking and cutting candy.
Reply to
Baron

Midgit roofer?

.