What is it? Set 437

I need some help with the third item this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2536: Don't know it's real name, but is used to double fiber optic cable back and forth between poles, avoiding the need to cut and do tricky field splices. Their use won't exceed the cable's minimum bend radius.

Verizon Fios areas with the fiber optic cables on poles are infested with these things.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Oops, Correction, make that 2537!

Reply to
Erik

2533. Temporarly reduces size of a cork to put it in the bottle. 2536. Looks like a surveyor's tape reel with cord and a door hook replacing the tape. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

Erik fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com:

2537 - It's also used on coax, to keep the length of a segment equal to a certain number of wavelengths at a selected center frequency. 2536 - looks like a retrievable mason's line. One would expect to see at least one corner block associated with it.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2533, wild guess. Hand operated can seamer, for sealing tin cans. 2534 Inspectors test punch. Used for sampling plastic sheeting, coming off an assembly line. The small disk that is punched out, is sent back to QC for testing. 2535, this is a photo dryer. The photograph is placed in the frame, and then it dries in the proper curvature to be placed in advertising display which was used on the NYC subway. (I'm guessing?) 2536, this is a chalk line, that rolls out. The crank in the center of the "star" allows the operator to respool the line. 2537, not sure what they are. But I see a lot of them on telephone or electrical lines, out by the road. 2538, I think this is part of a wood worker's tool known as a block plane. Most of the plane is missing, unfortunately.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2535 Film holder for a panorex dental x-ray?
Reply to
G.W. Ross

2536- manualy wound tape reel, no tape

2537- used to turn around a fiber optic cable while maintaining the minimum bend radius.

Reply to
Dave__67

2538 - It looks like a type of side rabbit plane ....
Reply to
joeljcarver

2533: Flint/Steel fire starter?
Reply to
Bill

#2538 A nice bronze side-rabbet(rebate) plane.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Is 2538 used to cut photo matting ?

Reply to
Snag

Yes, someone told me it's called a fiber loop.

Reply to
Rob H.

Surveyor's tape reel is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, it's a rabbet or rebate plane.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

It is definitely a SIDE rabbet plane. Go here:

#'s 90, 92, 93 for rabbet planes. Yours is like #98 except is a double for the left and right side walls of the dado/rabbet. Stanley made their double, #79, a bit different. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always -- but rather late -- already into tomorrow. :-)

2533) Looks like it is designed to cut flats on the ends of wood rods or narrow boards. It can't be too wide, or it would interfere with the hand crank.

Perhaps for doing something to legs for furniture?

2534) Looks about right for cleaning the socket for a candle in a candlestick, and for shaping the end of the candle prior to putting it in the candlestick. 2535) At a guess, for feeding out and cutting off paper, formed into a curve for whatever reason. 2536) Either an old style tape measure for a surveyor, or a depth gauge for large fuel tanks -- depending on what the hook is expected to catch onto. 2537) Looks like a device for running cable below a support cable. The fixture slides along the support cable (drawn by the yellow cord), and the cable is paid out from the end that the device starts from. Not sure whether it is expected that there will be two runs of cable or not.

There should be something to attach the cable to the support cable as it moves along.

2538) Sliding lock for the inside of a door or window. The part to the lower right is fixed on the other part.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested,

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2534. Tool for cleaning automotive battery terminals and connectors. Don't know if US still has round terminals, UK does. 2535. Trepanning tool?

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Yes, they look just like the one on my site except mine was made by Sargent.

Still not sure about number 2535 but the rest of the answers for this set have been posted:

Rob H.