What is it? Set 464

I need some help with the second item this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2699 Bearing scraper.
Reply to
F Murtz

2696. Some sort of calorimeter? For coal samples perhaps.
Reply to
Dennis

2700. In Aussie parlance, a "Binder". Tractor towed machine for making sheaves of hay. Mower fitting (forks and cutter blade/s) low and at front. Hay is cut by blades and swept onto canvas carrier by the rotating windmill (acts like harvester; not a header). Hay is combined into sheaves, tied (bound with string) and dropped out the back of machine. 2699. Given 2700 has a farming emphasis, could this be a bag needle for sewing wheat or more likely chaff, bags? (assuming flattened right hand end has slot cut in it for string)
Reply to
JoseP
2695 no clue 2696 ash collector for cigar smokers? Helps keep them from inhaling ash. Yeah, yeah, that's wrong. But, might seem funny to some. 2697 no clue 2698 early carpet stretcher. "Knee kicker". 2699, can't see very well. 2700, Orville and Wilbur Wright's first air plane. That, or some kind of farm harvester.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2700 A binder.

Pulled by horse or tractor would cut and bundle grain. Some poor slob (me) would walk behind and gather 6 bundles, lean pairs together like an a-frame (a shock) (capping with a seventh bundle if rain is expected). A few days later, another poor slob (me, again) goes around and forks the dried bundles onto a wagon which carried them to the center of the field where the threshing machine had been set up.

Hot, dusty, dirty, hard work.

This binder currently has the transport wheelset. On the end of the cutting head, in the second picture, you can just see the wheel used when the binder is cutting grain.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

2700 Is a John Deere Grain bender. It cuts the grain and ties it in bundles and carries the bundles until the operator dumps them. It was pulled by horses.
Reply to
Ralph

2595 A Nut Cracker
Reply to
G. Ross

2696- I think it was used to hold something burning that could be carried to steam engines or furnaces etc to light off one that was out/cold, or maybe to hold enough burning material to ensure a re-light after sitting for awhile.
Reply to
spamTHISbrp

2697. Approximately 3"-5" long:

Native Fishing lures... Rotate image 180 degrees for best viewing.

Reply to
phorbin

2695 ? I'd use it to squeeze lemons.
Reply to
J Burns

Correct, it's missing the wood handle. I had posted one of these a few years ago.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, though I don't know if it's specifically for hay or if it is also for grain.

Nope, that's not it.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't think they are fishing lures, they were on display at an auction in a glass case with some American Indian and Inuit items.

Reply to
Rob H.

I'm still not sure about this one but that sounds possible, someone found "a bunch" of these at their local scrap yard.

Reply to
Rob H.

J Burns fired this volley in news:k6c6cq$tmp$1@dont- email.me:

2695

I've seen these somewhere before. I think it's a sort of cord lock, perhaps for window blinds or curtains.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It appears they were made to scrape cups about an inch deep and .75 -

1.5 inches in diameter, with center holes in the bottom.

I think perhaps traditional Inuit lamps used candles of animal fat, which is probably softer than our wax. These tools may have been to clean a lamp so a new candle would fit.

Reply to
J Burns

2698: If you had to install molding where a plaster wall met a plaster ceiling, this tool could make scratches to show the high points.
Reply to
J Burns

#2699 looks like a "riffler", no?

Reply to
Bill

#2698 -- Helping to hold/stretch animal hides?

Reply to
Bill