http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

Rob H. wrote:

#2593: I eventually noticed it could be adjusted for square, much like a steel square. This leads me to the shallow guess that it could be a jig.
#2594: Guess: A grip to be used by a blacksmith? He might use it to help keep track of a small piece of steel in the forge and while working it?
Bill

I don't think jig is the correct term for it but it _was_ used for holding something, the patent states it's was to be used "in **** cutting".

I can see where it might be a useful guide for topping 4x4 fence posts.
scott
On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:02:51 PM UTC-10, Rob H. wrote:

2596. Looks like the claw at the base of a chainsaw bar. I don't know what it's called. Karl

Correct, it's an attachment for a chainsaw.
2594 As the points are shaped so that they don't grasp anything between them, and they don't pull anything together, I don't think this is a clamp. If this were a spreader, there wouldn't be much use for the ring. The function seems to be to push the ring up to set the distance between the points. So, I guess that this is a gauge, possibly to scratch parallel lines for the thickness of something.
On 6/28/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2594, this could be pounded into wood, and then a rope through the ring. Used to pull logs, for example.
2594 As the points are shaped so that they don't grasp anything between them, and they don't pull anything together, I don't think this is a clamp. If this were a spreader, there wouldn't be much use for the ring. The function seems to be to push the ring up to set the distance between the points. So, I guess that this is a gauge, possibly to scratch parallel lines for the thickness of something.
On 6/28/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Yes, it's a marker or scribe for a particular purpose.

    Marking the spacing of nails in a horseshoe?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Alexander Thesoso wrote:

It sure resembles a "cotter pin"-- a big one (!), maybe for use on a steam powered engine, like on a train?
Bill

2593, can't think of the offical name for it. But, it's a frame used for holding movable type, for a printing press. 2594, no clue. 2595, no clue. 2596, someone else mentioned chain saw bar. Devices similar to this were bolted to the front of a chain saw body. It allowed the operator to put more down force on the saw bar, to cut faster. 2597. no clue. 2598, no clue.
Hey, that's a good set. You really found some new ones.
I need some help with the second last one this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2593 Following up on what Bill said, that this is a jig: I notice the relief in the lower-right corner. I can imagine a few of these being used to hold a bundle of long square sticks in a square as they are glued together to make a bundle that is then sliced up for parquetry or inlay work.
On 6/28/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:02:51 AM UTC-4, Rob H. wrote:

2598 looks like part of a set of switchpoints for a garden railroad or mining carts or pushcart tracks of some kind, seems as though it would only work with double-flanged wheels and maybe a nudge a5t the right time actuallt selects the path taken.
Dave

Correct, it was for use with mining carts.

Someone just sent me the link below, according to the photo it was part of an overhead trolley track, as was answered in the comments on my site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cem6357/3655844807/lightbox/
2593:    I think it might be a paver mold. 2594:    Log pull. For driving into the bark of a log at the end to pull it, usually by horses, now by winch..
2598: Track joiner for two sets of track coming together, either for warehouse, lumber yard, or mining operation. Some used carts, others flats.
On 6/28/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Rob, it looks like you said 6 inches, but could this be 6 feet?
It looks like the back of a trolley car in the mines or warehouse. The pin could go in and it would hold. But to prevent the pin from being removed the latch could be swung , the pin inserted, then the latch made firm around a notch in the pin.
Would be great to see a shot from the pin hole's side.
On 6/28/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The person who sent the photo asked his friend who owns it for the length but hasn't heard back yet. He thought it was around 6 inches but it could be a little larger, I don't think it's six feet long but it's hard to say for sure. If I hear from him I'll let everyone know.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2593 -
2594 -
2595 -
2596 - Bark teeth for a chain saw.
2597 -
2598 - Track intersection for old floor mounted rail systems. Could be auto plant or similar.
--
Steve W.