Loctite stick advice please

I'm quoting a job that has a stainless 8-32 set screw bonded into a brass part. The exposed threads of the screw and free threads in the brass part cannot have any bonding agent on them. I'm thinking that Loctite 268, a stick type threadlocker, might work except for the small size of the screw. I don't know if the 268 can be applied cleanly to such a small screw or even if it will get down into the threads. Anybody know? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I've used it to lock what I remember to be 8-32 setscrews back when I was an auto mechanic. I secured loose blower fans to the motor shafts. I was using the red 271 threadlocker, the liquid form of 268, and I never had a come-back after using it.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't know how you're going to get clean threads with anything that you apply, stick or liquid. When you screw the set screw home, it's going to rub off on the female threads. They do make screws with nylon locking spots that small, might not fit well with your bid, though. Have some on my current laptop. Or bid two set screws, one on top of the other. Have done that one, too.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Thanks Larry, that's just what I was looking for. I'm sure that any compound that doesn't make it into the part will be easier to remove than a liquid that will wick along the threads. Eric

Reply to
etpm

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote in news:fmhpu7hudfpauh2bhnaubu3venbqu4bro8@

4ax.com:

I've used the red stuff, but on larger screws. It's pretty squishy, and it's very hard to put so little on the threads that none of it squeezes out as you thread things together.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I think this is a situation where you go back to the customer and ask if the adhesive-free part of the stud has to extend exactly to the surface or could they allow, lets say, a 0.030" region near the surface that may have some adhesive.

If they say no, ask if there could be a small shallow counterbore or countersink around the threaded hole that would let some adhesive ooze out without extending above the surface.

Reply to
anorton

The exposed threads pretty much need to be loctite free because another part screws on and off. There is going to be a thread or so with loctite on it and that will be OK. But not two threads. And the female threads can't have excess loctite either. That's why I don't want something that wicks. It looks like the stick stuff will work. Eric

Reply to
etpm