Red LocTite as Glue for SS Rod Into 6061?

The SS rod is the spindle of a pedal on what Hobie calls a "Mirage Drive":

Basically a couple of pedal-driven flippers that propel a kayak.

I am fabricating new pedal cranks for mine after breaking two of Hobie's.

The SS spindle is 15/32" and I would drill the same-sized hole in the solid 6061.

I do not want to get involved with cutting threads in SS, so I am thinking maybe just put the spindle in there with Red Loctite.

Doesn't seem like there is that much stress on it - and Hobie does something similar where then do a force-fit of one end of the spindle into the far end of their alu box stock.

Does anybody see any hope for this?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I'd see a lot more hope if you used a sleeve retaining type ... and be aware those compounds require a couple of thou clearance between parts . There's likely more torque being transmitted than you think , have you considered using a taper or roll pin ?

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Greetings Pete, The two metals you want to bond are not considered "active. This means that some anerobic adhesives won't work well without a primer. Furthermore, from your description I think you are asking if a thread locker will do. A product that will work very well for your application is Loctite 638. It has a shear strength of 4500 PSI. It does not need any kind of activator and sets up in 4 minutes. Full strength cure takes 24 hours though. Good stuff, and good for what you want to do. Eric

Reply to
etpm