What is it? Set 423

I need some help on the second one this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2454 Variety of brick bolsters / chisels. Used to cut/shape bricks and chisel out mortar between bricks.
Reply to
Dennis

#2449 A honey dipper/ladle? #2450 Clasp for a a gate?

Reply to
Bill

Is it cheating to go searching? If not, I found a picture and brief description of #2452 here:

Bill

2454. Ship and or boat caulking irons. About half way down this page.
kfvorwerk

some silly guesses...

2450 part of a door locker, gate closer, case clasp, belt buckle (most probable guess i think). 2451 i have seen similar devices as sink or livestock watering (Viehtr=E4nke)

greetings from germany Chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben

2454: Boat and ship caulking irons. I have a couple of them, but no boat
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Nope

Could be, still not sure about this one.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good guesses but I haven't been able to verify any of them.

Correct, it's a horse trough

Reply to
Rob H.

#2449 Cleaning tool--for a weapon?

Reply to
Bill

I think the walls are sloped to prevent freeze damage.

Reply to
J Burns

That's it! Expanding ice could possibly crack the rock.

Reply to
Rob H.

It isn't for cleaning a weapon. I've posted other models of this tool before.

Reply to
Rob H.

looks like it would be useful for cutting strips, leather or possibly pasta

Reply to
Mouse

"Rob H." scribbled:

2250 - almost looks like the hook latch on the back of a moving van that holds the garage door (for lack of a better term) closed.
Reply to
usablevirus

I think that I need help on the rest. :-)

2449) Does it have bearings so the grooved object will rotate freely on the handle?

If so, it might be for guiding running ropes onto the proper pulley.

2450) A release probably for two ropes (lines) or perhaps chains in lifting or load binding. The upper chain is through the eye, and the hook on the lower fits through an eye on a lower line, or a link in the chain. The projection to the right is to balance it so if the line goes slack for a moment, it won't release.

2451) Perhaps the cap to a burial enclosure (to hold the coffin and protect from underground critters), though it is a bit small for holding a full sized coffin.

2452) Perhaps one of the rings holding a military rifle of some age together?

2453) Perhaps for scooping grain -- and for opening a container using the notch shown in the second photo?

2454) Chisels for stonecarving?

Now to post this (somewhat late -- I was completing a project) and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Beat me to it.

Reply to
Father Haskell

2450 looks something like an antique chest latch, but larger and cruder. I does look like it was meant to latch something that opens vertically or that slides. The large hole makes me think it was meant to go on the base of a knob.

anorton

a belt buckle, open:

closed:
Greetings from germany Chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben

and... On 1/13/2012 3:30 AM, Christian Stüben wrote: > a belt buckle

I was having trouble with the kinematics of this as a latch, because I was thinking of the square thing near the 3.25 inch mark as a pivot. But, if as anorton says, the thing pivots about the large hole, then it makes sense. The square thing might be decorative or a detent bump.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso