Windows not genuine

I bought this computer a month ago. Then I learned that W7 would not run my <very old> copy of autocad, visual basic, and most important my
CNC control software(Camsoft).
I managed to completely hose W7 trying to get XP running on the same box. So, I went nuclear:reformated, installed XP, then W7 using the COA sticker on the side of this box (emachine from Best Buy).
All was well until just a few minutes ago. The screen went black and I got "This copy of windows is not genuine". I was able to put in a new background.
Is this box about to die? What should I do?
Karl
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Use your 'Recovery' CDs to install the original W7. Then run 'XP Mode' on W7:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
--Winston

Or install Virtual PC or DosBox and run XP (or Dos, or whatever) in the "virtual machine".
Also POSSIBLE to get Win 7 32 bit instead of 64 - and MOST things will run.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Did you activate it ? Microsoft usually gives you like 30 days from install to activate an OS . Sometimes when you do a re-install it won't activate over the 'net - you have to call an 800 number and read off some digits , they then send you some numbers to enter and voila , activated .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Is it registered? You can try calling the M$ 800 number in the W7 package, the one time I had to call them they were very responsive and helpful and even followed up later to make sure things were still ok. I was quite impressed.

Agreed. A significant part of my business has, unfortunately (because it's really boring), become resurrecting virus-ridden and otherwise busted computers. Every time I've called Microsoft's activation number, they've been helpful and polite. I've never had to pay for a replacement license.

My honey just had the opposite experience. An hour of automated voice prompts, two east indian clueless techs and then told to try calling the manufacturer. As she said, an hour of tech. support hell.
No joy, I'll probably soon go dark.
Karl
snipped-for-privacy@embarqmail.com wrote:

Do you have the 'restore' CDs?
--Winston

Has anyone tried installing the W7 .ISO downloads I mentioned? http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium /
I haven't as I was only looking for MS drivers in case I add boards.
jsw
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:46:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I had a hell of a time downloading this large a file. Finally got it done and made a DVD. As it worked out, Tom Gardner got an original to me before I tried it.
Karl
snipped-for-privacy@embarqmail.com wrote:

This was the M$ 800 number? When I called I spent about 30 seconds in the VRU 2 minutes giving the basic info to the first CSR, 15 seconds being transferred to a tech and then about 10 min with the tech sorting out the issue. About 30 min later I got a call from a supervisor following up to ensure the issue was resolved.
On Jan 12, 3:59am, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I think you've run into the OEM vs. retail license issue. If you used a retail install disk, it probably won't activate using the emachines' serial, the reverse is true, also. Win7 and Vista OEM versions are tied to the box, you can't use a retail install and an OEM serial. You'd need emachines' install/recovery media for that machine and probably the recovery partition on the hard drive. If you changed out the hard drive or blew away the recovery partition, you are SOL, you'd need a retail Win7 install disk plus a valid retail serial. Usually the recovery disk is an extra-cost item and retailers don't have them. People are treating the low-cost machines as disposables, junking them if they require more fiddling than they know how to give.
Things have changed since the Win 98 days. Also, those recovery partitions can make setting up dual-booting a lot of fun, not recommended unless you go to full retail licenses all the way across and start with a completely blank hard drive or drives. Much better is a Win7 install plus virtual boxes for the old stuff, if you've got enough CPU and memory to run such and your old app software doesn't want to talk to specific hardware. See virtualbox.org for a non-MS free solution.
Stan
Stanley Schaefer wrote:

I gotta disagree with ya there Stanley . I used a retail disc to reinstall Vista Home premium on my wife's desktop . Used that same disc with it's own serial to install Vista Ultimate on a build I did a couple of years ago , plus used it to install home basic (with her numbers) on my daughter's laptop . The only one that activated without a phone call was the ultimate build . The Vista discs have all versions available as of the manufacture date on every disc , what gets installed is controlled by the numbers . Anybody want a brand new 64 bit Vista Ultimate disc ?

And that's where we scavengers get boxes . I have been refurbing and giving them to the kids in my neighborhood ... and if they treat them right they'll get a better one in a few months .

I've found that it's always better to install the other OS in a dual-boot box on a separate hard drive . I've got Ubuntu on one set up that way - the 10-04 LTS version can be set up while booted into Windows , then you get a selection of which OS when the comp boots up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 1/12/2012 5:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Where did you get the copy you used?

I got the DVD OS install from a wire brush guy <VBG>
The COA sticker on the box was the product number I used. M$oft says its not valid and told my better half to call the manufacturer. Can't find a place to call on this best buy emachine.
I'll be returning the 'puter to best buy as soon as it dies.
I NOW REALLY F%^&ING HATE M$OFT. This new OS won't run my old software and caused all the trouble. I've spent DAYS on this.
Karl
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:20:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@embarqmail.com wrote:

Uh, oh! Look for changes in your shopping habits, in case it's loaded with evil subliminal messages telling you to BUY U.S. WIRE BRUSHES! BUY U.S. WIRE BRUSHES! BUY U.S. WIRE BRUSHES! BUY U.S. WIRE BRUSHES!

Whuffo you do dat?

If you have the Win7 Pro (or Ultimate), it will give you an XP mode which will have a better DOS mode for older software.
-- Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 05:35:56 -0800, Larry Jaques

\ You have it all wrong Larry, it is from those far eastern suppliers saying BUY Useless WIRE BRUSHES! BUY Useless WIRE BRUSHES! BUY Useless WIRE BRUSHES! BUY Useless WIRE BRUSHES!
I tend to buy Spanish or Italian wire brushes rather than far eastern ( really far northern ) as the quality is better. There are none made in Oz and Tom does not sell here.
    Alan
On 1/14/2012 12:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.oz wrote:

There is at least one brush co. in Australia and I often thought it would be a great place to retire. I was asked by a guy in the Congo that wanted me to come help him modify some machines. I would go in a heartbeat just for the experience of a new vista.
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 01:06:27 +0800, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.oz wrote:

Tawm would NEVER put out software like that. Ain't happenin'.

Time to talk to Tawm about either A) Becoming an OBC wholesale buyer, for Oz retail, or B) Opening up an Aussie branch of Ohio Brush, innit?
-- Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
On 1/14/2012 8:35 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

BRILLIANT IDEA! That ranks right up there with my "Random Invoice Generator".