Windows not genuine

BRILLIANT IDEA! That ranks right up there with my "Random Invoice Generator".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There is at least one brush co. in Australia and I often thought it would be a great place to retire. I was asked by a guy in the Congo that wanted me to come help him modify some machines. I would go in a heartbeat just for the experience of a new vista.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tawm would NEVER put out software like that. Ain't happenin'.

Time to talk to Tawm about either A) Becoming an OBC wholesale buyer, for Oz retail, or B) Opening up an Aussie branch of Ohio Brush, innit?

-- Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Get used to it. Apple was that way for years.

You cannot run 16 0r 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS. You CAN run a 32 bit OS as a VM - which will get you by for MOST programs - but not all - and it depends what VM you use.

I used Hyper V for a while and loved it - then got forced into switching toVM-Ware. What an ignorant, brain-dead OS THAT is in comparison to the Microsoft product!!!!!

Reply to
clare

???? I've got Win7 64-bit set up as a media center machine, runs all the XP 32-bit video editing programs I have plus a bunch of other stuff I've tried. What it won't do is use 32-bit DRIVERS or old XP drivers. Vista drivers mostly work. Also did away with DOS-mode commands, uses a different command line and batch mode handler now. I'm not using the thing as a game box or for other stuff, though, an XP install does all that other stuff on another box. Seems fussy about hardware, too, had to swap from a Zotac MB to a Gigabyte to get AHCI running so I could hot-swap SATA drives. Sometimes Intel chipsets just work better.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

You generally don't go wrong using Intel products - and the rule of thumb with Win7 - and particularly 7-64 - is if it is not on the compatibility list, it is NOT. Period.

I did make one mistake. I forgot to put in you cannot run SOME 16 or

32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS - and also you cannot run 64 bit programs on a 16 or 32 bit OS - which is what I really MEANT to say.
Reply to
clare

I"M BACK!

I installed XP on this box. Had quite a fight getting all the drivers, etc. working. I do really hate M$oft for all the trouble. Not my idea of being good to customers.

I'm just using outleak for NGs for now. I may try to reinstall agent later.

FWIW, the COA sticker you get on an emachine is NOT really a COA sticker. M$oft won't accept it. Finnaly got the vendor to tell me the same thing. If you lose the HD you are FUBAR. Just a heads up to other clueless types like myself.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hey Karl,

Full Agent runs OK on my 32-bit Windows 7. I can't recall if I bought a "new" download or if I transferred it over from the XP machine, but it is iodentical in looks and operation. (To be truthful, "I" didn't do anything...I had a nice lady geek come over and do it.)

My saddest bit is losing Eudora Pro, which I really really really like(d). I got the first use of it as "freebie" from the ISP, bought the full version shortly thereafter, and have used since the early

1990's. It is a much much better program than this "FN" Windows Live, but 7 does not like it, and Eudora is now Eudroa7, an "Open Source" program, whatever that means.

Good luck. Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Hi, Brian:-

Won't Eudora Pro run under Win7? AFAIUI, you have to change the default storage location, but otherwise it should run even under Win7 x64.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The simple free solution:

nominally work only on their own brand of drives.

Copy an image of your C: drive onto a second internal or an external USB drive, restore the copy if you hose the OS. It's a lot quicker than reinstalling the OS and programs. You can make a bootable CD or flash drive to restore an image to a blank new hard drive. The drive image will likely work on only the PC it came from, so you can't copy a validated XP or 7 installation to another machine this way.

Every few weeks (or months) I purge the accumulated Net dreck, run AVG, Malwarebytes and Spybot scans and make a Pre[mmddyy] backup, then update all the software. If the updates don't cause problems I save a Post[mmddyy] backup. Then I can safely experiment with new downloaded programs and drivers.

My tower desktops have the C: drive in removeable cartridges so reverting to an older good system version is even easier. I swapped them often when trying to find 7 or Vista drivers for older hardware. Some were not perfect, but close enough. They were for the same chipset on a different board.

Those programs let you add and resize partitions but it's tricky and I have to practice each time. EASEUS Partition Master is easier. I usually divide a laptop drive into DOS utility & diagnostics, C: for the operating system and D: for downloads and my files, to reduce the size of C: backups. The D: partition can be simply copied to a USB drive for backups. D: is a second physical drive on desktops that accept one.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

BIG SNIP

Hey Speff,

I don't know!?!? The geek lady wasn't familiar with Eudora at all, and I was the one told her it wouldn't work when I tried to get it moved over. So maybe there is joy in sight!?!?!

I'll write you direct if you don't mind.

Take care.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

You're always welcome to do so!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This came to me via Harold Vordos

and after I passed it on, Jan-Eric replied with 2 more:

"Cosmic Zoom", 1968 -

"Powers of Ten", 1977 -

All good stuff !!!!!

Brian Lawson.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The lawyers and nit-pickers will argue this till eternity, but if you have a valid COA sticker on the machine, you probably won't go to jail for running the OS, no matter where or how you got the ones and zeros.

Reply to
mike

I had an XP computer to repair for someone, and it claimed XP was fake because the date was set wrong.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell