multiboot XP and W7

I've got software that don't run on W7...
So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.
I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive, then install W7?
Have I missed a better route?
Karl

http://www.vmware.com /

I 'spose I could be a touch more specific.
Download the (free) VMware Player & create a virtual machine with XP.
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/overview.html
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:32:31 +0000 (UTC), "Kelly D. Grills"

VMware is about as brain-dead a system as you could ever think of. Can't run a tape backup on it. Cannot connect to a UPS for auto shut-down. No capability to pass though USB.
When someone sells you VM Ware (or Cisco, for that matter) all they are selling you is "billable hours"
Hyper V from Mickey-Soft is a better product - and that's saying something!!!

Whatever, use what you like, but...

Have no idea, haven't used a tape in a LONG time.

Kludgy, but not impossible.

Bullshit.
Hmm... Ah, nevermind.

Shill.
I'll go over to my Linux box & install it right now.
On 12/5/2011 10:28 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl,
Have you tried Windows 7 virtual pc? Pretty much run XP inside Win7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

The software vendor tells me that won't work. This is a CNC control that bypasses windows calls to go direct to the hardware.
Karl

It sounds as though you're running the XP setup from within W7 (?). You need to boot directly from the XP cd.
There are a bunch of tutorials regarding dual booting: http://www.google.com/search?q=dual+boot+windows+7&hl=en&source=hp&ie=ISO-8859-1&gbv=1&btnG=Search
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:24:31 +0000 (UTC), "Kelly D. Grills"

Thanks. I found one for exactly what I'm attempting.
Karl

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
jsw

a) I'll second those whove said Microsoft Virtual PC. It comes with Win7 (or you can download it), and it gives you an XP machine inside your Win7 machine. Or, VMware, which I use ALL the time.
BUT...
b) If, as you said, you can't run your software in a VM, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to dual boot. If you are receiving error messages from Windows 7 during your XP install, then the install is not booting from your CD. Check your BIOS settings to make sure that the CD drive is listed before the hard drive. You should never see Windows 7 booting during your XP installation.
c) If I were you (actually if you were me, and I'm not sure why you'd want to be), You'd get another cheap PC to run XP and the CNC software. You can probably pick up a junker for less than you'd pay for a new hard drive (which ain't much). I see them all the time on freecycle. Hell, if you were closer, I'd just tell you to come by and pick one or two out of the pile of stuff I need to get rid of.
d) completely random thought: Have you ever done a CNC setup to peel and core an apple? It seems like you're the guy to do it, having an infinite supply of apples and all, and it would make a helluva good youtube video.
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying all day. The install error I'm getting is from the CD. I found a step by step guide and I'm doing it right. My old CD has a bad spot.
This may be dangerous, I'm downloading a new bootable CD from pirate bay. I'll try it with my licence tonight.
I do have a second old 'puter here. It runs XP and has my control, ACAD, mastercam, and some special visual basic apps on it. The second two are home copies from when my son had legal access. None of this stuff runs on W7. My goal here is long term - I need to be able to run my shop stuff on new computers as the old ones die.
Thanks for the advice
Karl

Sounds as though you'll be working in XP for the most part. I'd install XP as my base OS, & run W7 in a virtual container. That would provide simultaneous access to XP & W7, with no futzing around rebooting. Also when you move to a new box in the future you can simply copy over the W7 virtual container.

Well, here's something else to chew on. More than once, I've had computers fail in the middle of installing XP, complaining that they couldn't read some file or another off the CD. Well, they may not have been able to read, but it wasn't the CD's fault at all. In at least four cases, the culprit was faulty RAM. Replaced the bad RAM, and the computers loaded up right away. Go figure.
Before you go much further, you should get a good memory test - Memtest86, or there's one from Microsoft that's less extensive, but still pretty good. Both of those are free, and may save you a lot of hair pulling.

One more thing: There will be computers capable of running XP pretty much forever. There are a lot of people in your boat, and there will always be machines to run that stuff on. They may not be cheap, but they exist. Meanwhile, you ought to go to the local salvage yard or Goodwill or Salvation Army and pick up a couple of machines for a rainy day. Again, you could come here and take your pick - actually you could take them all, my wife would thank you for it.:-)
But I'm still waiting to see the cnc apple peeler video.
On 12/5/2011 10:28 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

W7 Pro or Ultimate have XP mode available...but not your Home Premium. You could download Virtual PC or VMWare but for what you want to do I would:
remove your W7 drive install an old, small hd install XP reinstall your W7 drive and chose which drive to boot from from BIOS

I got your CDs just a few minutes ago. Thanks
I'll take your advcie and get another hard drive.
Karl

Likely the best answer, given the application

XP and 7 could be installed on interchangeable HDD sleds that pop into a case in a CD bay. Plug in the drive with the OS you want to boot. I put older Acronis backups on them and use them as restore points when testing downloaded software. They are unlikely to work properly on a different PC, even of the same model.
I've set up my laptop to multiboot four ways, from the C: drive, a USB stick, a CD/DVD and the F12 key (by hacking the Utility partition).
jsw

This is what I do. There exist multi-bay racks for bare SATA drives, usually three SATA drives fitting into two half-height 5 1/4" bays. Or, if you want to play this way, two 2.5" SATAs into one 3 1/2" bay. Smaller laptop drives are ridiculously cheap these days. I normally use a 30 gig or so partition on the boot drive, and a monster drive for data. The third slot is used for image backups on a stack of backup drives.
You can do the same with IDE drives, which I was doing previously, but they rely on a sled and bay arrangement, none of which are standards. So you end up buying as many sets as you have drives. Can get expensive unless you get them used. Usually the sled to bay connector is what gives up, along with the midget fans they use.
Acronis takes about 5 minutes to backup the boot drive this way, makes for fast and more frequent backups. If a boot drive dies, I just pop in the latest backup and soldier on.
This works for other operating systems and other versions of Windows as well. I don't like dual-boot software arrangements on principle, I still remember booting up NT 4 on a dual boot machine once and having it nail 3 other drives on the system. Took the better part of a week to get the system restored. They usually work, until the boot sector or boot driver gets munged, then you have a real fun time restoring.
I've also uised VirtualBox off off virtualbox.org, this is head and shoulders above anything MS is giving away. It allows USB access and shared folders between the virtual machine and the host. Good for testing boot images before burning onto CD/DVD. However, it probably won't allow direct hardware access as the O.P. wants. A dedicated box is probably the simpler route. If access between boxes is needed, ethernet hubs are cheap.
Stan