115 pc drill sets a waste?

Ahm thinkin all's you really need are drills for screw clearance and tapping -- mebbe roll taps as well. What else? Pins, roll pins, I guess, but I don't use those much.
Metric: Most common: 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 mm?
I have Huot bulk drill case, in a small shop. The oddball sizes I figger a cupla drills would be enough, but for things like #7, 21, 1/4", etc, I should have at least 10 on hand.
Probably drill point angle would be an issue as well. Get 118 and 135 deg? If I just went with one angle, what would be better?
In general, is cobalt worth the extra $? Coated? I proly break shit before I wear it out..... :(
--
EA

A decent set is not a waste. My Shars set is, at least, usable.

They are an importer, yes.
The drills that I bought from them, do their job.

I also have that 6" Shars vise and I am not at all complaining -- it does its job for me.
I am thinking about buying a second one.

I have a budget Enco set of HSS - nothing fancy. When I wear out or break one, then it's time to consider getting a better drill bit (or bits) in that size. As such, the sizes I haven't used are not costing me much, but I have something in all sizes. If not budget constrained, or less hobby and more production, different economics may apply.

TiN is coated. Cobalt is cobalt through and through - if sharpened properly, good as new. If you just run them dull and toss, different economics again.

Easy as reading a micrometer. Something you can set the apprentice or kid on if you have one or the other and a slow period. Or do yourself, unless you bring in so much money that it's worthwhile to just buy a new set rather than take the time. Most places there's somebody who can be useful at least part of their time doing background tasks like sorting drill bits.

On Mar 22, 12:14pm, Ecnerwal

Yeah, like me. I don't make any $ anyway. Actually don't try. However I was miking a spilled 115 piece cheap HSS Enco Chinese set in a useless 30 ga. box. (Someone will probably tell me there's no such thing as 30ga. tin, but they haven't seen my case.) I found that most all were ~ 0.005 undersize. so for the hell of it I miked some older US made drills. They mostly came out to be 0.001 to 0.003 under. None > 0.003" under. Comments? JD

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    With a full load of bits, I would expect it to crumple in the middle if you picked it up by the ends. :-)

    Where were you Micing the bits? They normally taper a little being made widest at the tip -- so they don't drag on the sides as much in a deep hole. If you mike at the shank, there is no certainty how much smaller they will be -- but they are unlikely to be larger at the shank, unless they are really weirdly constructed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
    [ ... ]

    A digital caliper is close enough to determine what goes where. Measure across the flutes at the tip, because the shank is often a little smaller than the tip. And at least the Huot indexes mark the decimal diameter by each hole -- even decimal inches on the metric sets. (Yes, I keep a pair of metric sets -- 1.0-6.0 mm and 6.1 to 12.0 mm to both give the right size for metric hardware, and to fill in gaps in sizes between the letter, number and fractional sets.

    Ouch!
    But it is worth your time (you are a hobbist, are you not) to sort them properly back into the index. If a commercial machinist, your time is money, and you may be better off getting a new set to save you time finding the right bits from that drawer. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 3/22/2011 5:09 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Well, yes. Mostly. LOL. People have started finding me though. Its kind of gratifying when a buddy asks me to show him a solution to a problem, its better than the "pro" shop (not that there are many here) and he's floored (in a good way) when I tell him I'll make it for the same price.
But yeah. I am a hobbyist, and it probably is worth my time to sort them out. Atleast my time as a machinist. If I have the time. I run a contracting company, fish, and play in the shop, and of course now the wife wants some custom metal fences done in the back yard. I tried to convice here it was worth me getting some fancy new metal bending stuff, but then she decided she wanted cheaper fences. LOL.

    [ ... ]

    O.K. Still not enough income to justify the expensive solution.

    I am likely to do this sort of thing while watching news on the TV, or reading (but not replying to) these newsgroup postings. Or -- while waiting for the little CNC lathe to tell me it is ready for the next tool or the next workpiece.

    Mine *knows* that any project involves purchasing tools. She even helps me when I am working on our car -- by handing me tools while I am under the car or whatever. She's even gotten to the point where she anticipates the next tool some of the time. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Expect to spend about $400 for a good set. Those $99 jobs are just a waste of time and ruined jobs.
I have one of the $99 jobs for when my son visits the shop with a "project". I have an UGLY placard inside my good set that says - basically - if you touch, you die.
LLoyd
On 2011-03-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Lloyd, this Shars one, seems to be different.
Any shop should have a least one complete set, as a job shop I have no idea what the next job in the door will be and what size drills I will need. I do stock up on the common sizes. I have several of the big Huot cabinets.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:25:46 -0400, "Existential Angst"

Re:metric Get the most common clearance and tap sizes for those. And you'd be surprised at how much you use those off sizes in the regular 115 piece sets. I'm always needing a drill just a bit bigger for drilling out busted screws and the like. If I could get a metric set for a decent price by tenths(and refills!), I could probably chuck all the fractional/letter/number stuff. It's always been a mystery, with 90+% of the world on the metric system, how we end up being screwed on metric tooling costs.
As far as cobalt, I've found these useful for the harder steels, like on guns. For aluminum, probably no advantage. They're brittle, so if you do a lot of free-hand drilling, prepare to buy spares. There is no one drill type and material that's going to do it all.
Stan
Existential Angst wrote:

I've never regretted purchasing my 115 piece set, and have had the need to use quite a few of the oddball sizes when a hole had to be "just so".
I still rely on my 13 piece set for most holes though, only cracking open the big one when I need to.
Jon

My experience and usage is the same as yours. I've also found them useful for measuring holes and clearances where I couldn't get in with anything else to do the measuring.
Wayne D.
    --If you can buy the empty boxes and fill 'em with quality drills as you need 'em. I've got two: one for jobbers and one for stubbies; both filled. Ya never know when you'll need an oddball: customer called the other day and is sending a bit I *still* don't have to do a special job; funny how that works out...     For common sizes it's a good idea to get spares and keep 'em safe somewhere; I tend to buy these 5 at a time..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
steamer wrote:

I sorted the contents of my many drill indexes into these:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMKD?SIITEM00109-0012&SIQTY001=1&SICOUNT=1
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMKD?SIITEM00109-0013&SIQTY001=1&SICOUNT=1
They seem expensive but pay for themselves the first few times that you can continue a project because the proper bit is available rather than hidden away in a forgotten drawer.
--Winston

Cart is currently empty.

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Ooof! Sorry.
If you log on to http://www.use-enco.com/ and search for their part numbers: 309-0012 309-0013 309-0014 309-0015 240-5943
You will see what I'm on about. Highly recommended. It is on page 57 of their current web catalog. Top right corner.
I tried again. Perhaps these will work better.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO0644&PMAKA09-0012 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO1032&PMAKA09-0013 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO0734&PMAKA09-0014 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO1202&PMAKA09-0015 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNOH69406&PMAKA$0-5943
--Winston