115 pc drill sets a waste?

Somebody mentioned measuring the hole and then checking the wall chart to see what size drill bit is appropriate... That reminded me of the drill bit calculator we wrote a while ago - measure what you need with your caliper, enter the dimension in the utility and it pops up nearest drill size.

In addition to showing the next larger fractional, letter/number and metric size drill bits corresponding to a decimal value input, plus the next two larger and smaller drills - and the clearance, it now also displays target RPM for a particular drill size,

It defaults to 60 SFPM (a good start for mild steel) and you can tweak the value depending on the material being cut or drilled.

The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from Shareware, so if it is helpful to you, send us a couple of bucks.

Eventually I should upload it to the dropbox, but as long as I'm updating occasionally it seems best to keep it on my site.

Carla

Winston Churchill once came to Virginia after WWII to attend the unveiling of a bust honoring him at a local university. At the reception afterwards this well-endowed southern belle pushed her way through the crowd and came up to Churchill, where she told him that she had driven all night over 200 miles to see the unveiling of his bust. Churchill looked down at her chest and then up into her eyes and said "Madam, I would have done the same for you!" No wonder why we love this guy.

Reply to
Carla Fong

Silly me! When you said, "well-endowed," I thought you meant smart! ;-)

I once saw a t-shirt on a large-breasted woman that said, "I wish these were brains!" (That's what the t-shirt said, she didn't have to say a word.) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You got my Paypal a few months ago, yes?

Cool! I'm looking forward to it.

So far, I have an error running under wine (Ubuntu Linux) Apparently it needs a helper program, because it alerted: "import_dll Library MFC42.DLL".

*Further 'Feature Creep' Request:*

It'd be cool to have a dialog box revealing the 'cone depth' for a given drill ground to a given angle.

For example: A 0.25" diameter drill ground to 118 degrees included angle will leave a full diameter through hole in a workpiece if the point of the drill travels at least 0.0751" past the bottom edge of a given workpiece. Less, and the hole will have a conical cross section at the bottom.

This feature would be excellent for determining the thickness of a sacrificial backing plate on a mill or drill press, for instance.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yes, I got your $$$ - Thanks!

You can download today's update (same URL) and see if the features you requested do what you want... It defaults to a 118 degree drill point. If you're using a different drill angle, change that first before entering the decimal size, or enter the decimal size, tab to the drill angle and then tab out of that to get it to recalculate cone depth.

Carla

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

Reply to
Carla Fong

(...)

Thanks Carla.

I'd be happy to take this to e-mail: My real addy is on the bottom of the first page of my website:

Unfortunately we have the same issue. "err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\len\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program_Files\\Fractions.exe") not found err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\len\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program_Files\\Fractions.exe" failed, status c0000135"

I'm looking forward to your program!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Try looking here:

or specifically:

I have other versions around, if that one doesn't fly or you can do your own web search for it.

Try putting it here (correct the ?winston? part first):

/home/?winston?/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/mfc42.dll

or in the same directory as "Fractions.exe". The latter will fix the problem this time, the former should fix it for any future woes...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks Leon!

I've got many other windows programs that work great under wine and I've been warned off loading third-party .DLLs. I shall pass but I really appreciate your help.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That (mfc42.dll) is a standard MS Windows file. The only hassle you might have is finding a version that works with both Wine and Fractions. For some more info (because I can see you're uneasy) see:

I've downloaded numerous dll's from that site in years past when I was still running WinNT4. No problems, other than finding the version I needed...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks again Leon!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Carla Fong fired this volley in news:maudncgVyqjlnxPQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The idea of using a computer to figure out which bit to use just leaves me cold...

What's wrong with a simple wall chart?

*(and no... I am not a luddite... about to buy a new CNC lathe)*

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Carla's utility is growing to encompass the information that machinists need in one place. It'll answer the most critical questions we have about RPM and depth clearance as well as the proper drill for a given tap size.

Think of it as a Grand Unified Wall Chart. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Who has wall space for charts? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I back up C: with the free Seagate or Western Digital version of True Image before installing anything risky, including MS updates:

It runs from Windows if that still works, and it will create a bootable floppy, CD/DVD or flash drive to restore a disk image to a trashed or new drive.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I hang them on doors.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Other folks may also be using Linux, so let's keep it here (and you get to be the Guinea pig :)

I re-compiled it with the required routines from the DLL embedded into the .exe file so it should work without any external dependencies. Still at the same URL.

Let me know if this works on your Ubuntu system.

Carla

"The waitress had no trouble filling out her black lace blouse, velveteen hot pants, and nosebleed heels, but she was a little long in the tooth to be up on stage, and the shade of her blond hair wasn't on God's original color palette." - Reed Farrel Colemar

Reply to
Carla Fong

Interesting!

Thanks Jim.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

YES!

Works great under wine and Ubuntu!

Thanks, Carla!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Who has that many doors? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, like me. I don't make any $ anyway. Actually don't try. However I was miking a spilled 115 piece cheap HSS Enco Chinese set in a useless 30 ga. box. (Someone will probably tell me there's no such thing as

30ga. tin, but they haven't seen my case.) I found that most all were ~ 0.005 undersize. so for the hell of it I miked some older US made drills. They mostly came out to be 0.001=94 to 0.003=94 under. None > 0.003" under. Comments? JD
Reply to
jay

[ ... ]

With a full load of bits, I would expect it to crumple in the middle if you picked it up by the ends. :-)

Where were you Micing the bits? They normally taper a little being made widest at the tip -- so they don't drag on the sides as much in a deep hole. If you mike at the shank, there is no certainty how much smaller they will be -- but they are unlikely to be larger at the shank, unless they are really weirdly constructed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols