115 pc drill sets a waste?

Carla Fong wrote:

Silly me! When you said, "well-endowed," I thought you meant smart! ;-)
I once saw a t-shirt on a large-breasted woman that said, "I wish these were brains!" (That's what the t-shirt said, she didn't have to say a word.) ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Carla Fong wrote:

You got my Paypal a few months ago, yes?

Cool! I'm looking forward to it.
So far, I have an error running under wine (Ubuntu Linux) Apparently it needs a helper program, because it alerted: "import_dll Library MFC42.DLL".
*Further 'Feature Creep' Request:*
It'd be cool to have a dialog box revealing the 'cone depth' for a given drill ground to a given angle.
For example: A 0.25" diameter drill ground to 118 degrees included angle will leave a full diameter through hole in a workpiece if the point of the drill travels at least 0.0751" past the bottom edge of a given workpiece. Less, and the hole will have a conical cross section at the bottom.
This feature would be excellent for determining the thickness of a sacrificial backing plate on a mill or drill press, for instance.
--Winston
Yes, I got your $$$ - Thanks!
You can download today's update (same URL) and see if the features you requested do what you want... It defaults to a 118 degree drill point. If you're using a different drill angle, change that first before entering the decimal size, or enter the decimal size, tab to the drill angle and then tab out of that to get it to recalculate cone depth.
<http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/
Carla
'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
On 3/26/2011 3:15 PM, Winston wrote:

Carla Fong wrote:
(...)

Thanks Carla.
I'd be happy to take this to e-mail: My real addy is on the bottom of the first page of my website: http://mysite.verizon.net/reswoead/index.html
Unfortunately we have the same issue. "err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\len\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program_Files\\Fractions.exe") not found err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\len\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program_Files\\Fractions.exe" failed, status c0000135"
I'm looking forward to your program!
--Winston
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:00:48 -0700
<snip>

Try looking here:
http://www.dlldump.com/dll-files/M_3.html
or specifically:
http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/M/mfc42.dll/6.0.400/download.html
I have other versions around, if that one doesn't fly or you can do your own web search for it.
Try putting it here (correct the ?winston? part first):
/home/?winston?/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/mfc42.dll
or in the same directory as "Fractions.exe". The latter will fix the problem this time, the former should fix it for any future woes...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/M/mfc42.dll/6.0.400/download.html
Thanks Leon!
I've got many other windows programs that work great under wine and I've been warned off loading third-party .DLLs. I shall pass but I really appreciate your help.
--Winston
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:00:34 -0700

That (mfc42.dll) is a standard MS Windows file. The only hassle you might have is finding a version that works with both Wine and Fractions. For some more info (because I can see you're uneasy) see:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-2697b3c2437625eb387ae7360d9b224be0d20bce
I've downloaded numerous dll's from that site in years past when I was still running WinNT4. No problems, other than finding the version I needed...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Thanks again Leon!
--Winston

I back up C: with the free Seagate or Western Digital version of True Image before installing anything risky, including MS updates: http://www.acronis.com/main.html
It runs from Windows if that still works, and it will create a bootable floppy, CD/DVD or flash drive to restore a disk image to a trashed or new drive.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Interesting!
Thanks Jim.
--Winston
On 3/27/2011 12:00 AM, Winston wrote:

Other folks may also be using Linux, so let's keep it here (and you get to be the Guinea pig :)
I re-compiled it with the required routines from the DLL embedded into the .exe file so it should work without any external dependencies. Still at the same URL. <http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/
Let me know if this works on your Ubuntu system.
Carla
"The waitress had no trouble filling out her black lace blouse, velveteen hot pants, and nosebleed heels, but she was a little long in the tooth to be up on stage, and the shade of her blond hair wasn't on God's original color palette." - Reed Farrel Colemar
Carla Fong wrote:
(...)

YES!
Works great under wine and Ubuntu!
Thanks, Carla!
--Winston

The idea of using a computer to figure out which bit to use just leaves me cold...
What's wrong with a simple wall chart?
*(and no... I am not a luddite... about to buy a new CNC lathe)*
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Carla's utility is growing to encompass the information that machinists need in one place. It'll answer the most critical questions we have about RPM and depth clearance as well as the proper drill for a given tap size.
Think of it as a Grand Unified Wall Chart. :)
--Winston
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:38:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Who has wall space for charts? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

I hang them on doors.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Who has that many doors? :)
--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

But don't reamers cost a fortune?
Thanks, Rich
On 2011-03-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

    I've seen one with one of the two flutes ground with a negative clearance angle on the tip. :-)
    And the index that these come is is a real pain to use compared to a real HUOT index.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    [ ... ]

    My own preference is for the 135 degree angle, which usually includes a split point -- does not walk on starting on a slight angle, unlike the chisel points with the 118 degree points. I even was able to drill a cross hole in a 5/16" round shaft (for a roller for the garage door tracks) to install a cotter pin using a hand held electric drill motor with it still in the garage door. No way I would have been able to do that without a spotting drill first with the 118 degree chisel points.
    The split point also means that you need a lot less force to drill reasonably than with a chisel point.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail