115 pc drill bit sets

Do you know of any reasonably decent ones, out there, that do not cost an arm and a leg. Thanks

Ignoramus510

I got the TiN set that Horror Fright puts on sale for around 40-50 bucks . We got a set at the cabinet shop a couple of years ago , the quality is rather good for the price - in my opinion .

Reply to
Snag

I guess it depends on how much your arm and leg is worth (: I bought this set a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. I've not had to regrind any of the drills yet. Note that it's screw machine lengths, not jobber.

Jim Stewart

Reply to
JR North

Buy a moderately priced set then, when bits go bad, replace with high quality bits, at least in popular sizes. The whole thing will be less of an issue if you learn how to sharpen drill bits and/or get a Darex Drill Doctor.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

Ignoramus510 wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I'm still amazed at a friends results with HF drills. He completely rebuilt a 35' sail boat with all of the SS work and never had to replace a drill bit and told me the bits worked just fine. Being trained in the old "You Get What You Pay For" school, I expected the bits to las 1/4 of the way thru a

1/4" piece of SS. What a surprise.
Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Sounds impressive. I will buy one. I like the advice of replacing broken bits with more expensive bits. I do have a drill sharpener also.

Ignoramus510

Heh , I like that . I've Snag'd a bunch of mismatched bits over the years , use the HF set pretty much for more demanding tasks . Knowing how to sharpen them has saved me a lot of money over the years . Lots of folks toss 'em instead . I pick 'em up ...

Reply to
Snag

Mike, thanks a lot. I was very impressed with your mill, I always meant to say that.

igor

Reply to
Ignoramus510

J&L Hertel sets are often on sale for $90 or so. They have a store in Elk Grove Village (IL) that is close enough for you to drive to and they sometimes have interesting items in their "surplus" shelves. I've had good luck with them in aluminum, steel, SS, and plastic.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

You must have quite a few of the 25/64 and others just as infrequently used. Unless you throw them away when you get the new set. Say it isn't so, you don't throw away those almost-new ones, do you? 'Course they are useless once you have replacements.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Mike sez: "> J&L Hertel sets are often on sale for $90 or so. They have a store in Elk

Good ones. And they are US made.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hey Ig,

Whazzup??

Sam's club had the Worksmith "Brand" for $39, Costco had'em $29, but neither has them all the time. TiN, 3/8 shank, split point, 135 deg above 1/8" (altho I believe the comapany has them in 118), great quality for the price. I have about 4 sets! Shoulda bought more!! Decent case, altho not a Huot.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I'm still an adherent to the "get what you pay for rule". For instance, I believe my Hertel's are some orders of magnitude better than the cheap stuff at HF and etc. I also believe that Chicago-Latrobes are some orders of magnitude better than my Hertels. It is a good thing you cheap-skates have drill sharpeners -- you' re gonna need 'em.

Bob Swinney

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:soCJh.19$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I picked up a set made by Norseman ,very happy US made not outrageous$ work so well that I threw all the china made bits in my shop in the scrap bin. I will buy more when /if I need them.

Reply to
AndrewV