Costco/"Worksmith" 115 drill bit sets saga

Awl --
Some Qs came up some time ago regarding these drill sets, with most comments being pretty favorable (including my own), esp considering the price:
$20-39, TiN coated, etc. 135 deg point (above 1/8, iirc), but with 3/8 shanks, above 3/8.
My main criteria was longevity, and they seem to last OK, overall quality/case seemed decent. Never thought to check them via measuring the holes they drilled.
Goodgawd.....
I was form tapping 5/16-18 holes, which requires an L drill (.290), and after some peculiarities with the inserted set screws, I determined that the drilled holes were coming out at .304 -- !!!! Holy shit...... WITH spotting!! In a Fadal!!!!!
AND, the drill actually does measure 290!!!
How does a .290 drill that actually measures .290 drill a .304 hole?????? With no ostensible wobble, or other defects.
And yet, some bit sizes drill close to their size, so you cain't even *predict* the error. The problem *seems* to be particularly bad on the letter drills, judging from previous travails that I had not pegged to regularly errant bits.
Just an fyi.
I guess the moral to the story is, You don't always get what you pay for, but if you don't pay, the odds much much less..... like an effing accurate hole, ferchrissakes.
And, of course, I have a *bunch* of these drill sets..... I guess I'll use them to drill clearance holes for screws.
--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
Proctologically Violated wrote:

PV:
    If the drill's lips aren't the same length (or angle), then drill may drill oversize. You could try resharpening them, that should fix the problem.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I could sell the idiot my close to brand new Darex M5 so he could resharpen all / most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. This way the moron can tell everyone what a great deal he got and not tell anyone he had to reshapen and point split most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. Maybe your former boss can sell him one of those cheap Chinese Kurt knock off vises to compliment those Chinese drill bits he got such a deal on. What a moron.
Darex M5 drill sharpener pics posted on request.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

I could sell the idiot my close to brand new Darex M5 so he could resharpen all / most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. This way the moron can tell everyone what a great deal he got and not tell anyone he had to reshapen and point split most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. Maybe your former boss can sell him one of those cheap Chinese Kurt knock off vises to compliment those Chinese drill bits he got such a deal on. What a moron.
Darex M5 drill sharpener pics posted on request.
====================================== People think I hate Jon Banquer because he gave me (and proly many others) the STD doctors now call B. coli, for Banquerichiae coli.
Well, I don't hate Jon Banquer.
In fact, when Quallcom finally wakes up and fires Jon Banquer's utterly useless and still-diseased ass, and he has to move back with his Moms in CT, I'll pay his busfare to Yonkers, and pay him $25 to mow my front lawn, once a week.
He can pretend he's operating a gasoline-powered face mill, and he can think of the height of the grass as the Z axis.
And, I'm sure he'll fuck that up, too, but I'll pay him anyway.
--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):

I guess drilling and drills are exempt from Kriss Hogg's "extensive background in machining and manufacturing processes". For Kriss Hogg's lies see:
http://www.aperfectdealer.com/nbnews/fall_04_vol3/story4.html
What's next for this world-class liar / loser? No doubt something like Kriss Hogg buys a "Drill Doctor" and then sues them for malpractice when it doesn't work like he thinks it should.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
IanM wrote:

Took the words right outta my mouth ...
--
Snag
every answer

Yep he could sharpen his cheap ass drills on your cheap ass drill grinder.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

My uncle could hand grind a drill bit that would drill an oversize hole, regrind it and drill an exact hole and regrind it and drill an undersize hole. He told me to figure it out...I haven't.

Did he also walk up-hill to AND from school?
--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
Proctologically Violated wrote:

With barb wire for snowshoes?
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Many years go knew an old guy who owned a drilling job shop. He could hand grind small drills and be dead nuts on. If I hadn't seen him regrind the drills myself I wouldn't believe it. For years his shop ran parts for Cherry Textron on tolerances they couldn't hold in house for the price he was charging them.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

Impossible to drill an undersize hole. As the drill will not go through the hole. Sharpen the end offset as to the center point and you will get a bigger hole.

Well, I've seen it done too. The trick is a rounded corner at the edge of the cutting edge going to the flute. Like a Racon sharpening http://www.winsloweng.com/articles/grindPerform_content.htm
Karl

But that is like a step drill and the drill is made smaller part way up the shank.

Take a fairly good drill and measure it at the tip and every 1/2" down.
Buerste wrote:

Sure, but then we would have thread after thread as to which natural, biodegradable lube was better. Bear fat, because its long lasting, or Chicken fat, because its cheap and a lot easier to get. ;-)

Human fat. It could be extracted from between the ears of democrats.
Buerste wrote:

That stuff in rancid, and you have to strain out all the maggots. :(

snip---

No, it isn't. It's not all that uncommon.
Harold

Ever try drilling, opening up, a hole in titanium, say a 1/32"? good luck. Whats the longest hole you have drilled? non critical, like mold water lines? gun drill machines don't count. Drill doctor? Darex? what about a Sterling drill sharper? Now thats a drill sharpner. For my home drill set, I ground hex's on the shanks on all drills above 3/8" sweet no chuckey needed.