Costco/"Worksmith" 115 drill bit sets saga

Awl --

Some Qs came up some time ago regarding these drill sets, with most comments being pretty favorable (including my own), esp considering the price: $20-39, TiN coated, etc. 135 deg point (above 1/8, iirc), but with 3/8 shanks, above 3/8.

My main criteria was longevity, and they seem to last OK, overall quality/case seemed decent. Never thought to check them via measuring the holes they drilled.

Goodgawd.....

I was form tapping 5/16-18 holes, which requires an L drill (.290), and after some peculiarities with the inserted set screws, I determined that the drilled holes were coming out at .304 -- !!!! Holy shit...... WITH spotting!! In a Fadal!!!!!

AND, the drill actually does measure 290!!!

How does a .290 drill that actually measures .290 drill a .304 hole?????? With no ostensible wobble, or other defects.

And yet, some bit sizes drill close to their size, so you cain't even

*predict* the error. The problem *seems* to be particularly bad on the letter drills, judging from previous travails that I had not pegged to regularly errant bits.

Just an fyi.

I guess the moral to the story is, You don't always get what you pay for, but if you don't pay, the odds much much less..... like an effing accurate hole, ferchrissakes.

And, of course, I have a *bunch* of these drill sets..... I guess I'll use them to drill clearance holes for screws.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

PV:

If the drill's lips aren't the same length (or angle), then drill may drill oversize. You could try resharpening them, that should fix the problem.

Reply to
BottleBob

My uncle could hand grind a drill bit that would drill an oversize hole, regrind it and drill an exact hole and regrind it and drill an undersize hole. He told me to figure it out...I haven't.

Reply to
Buerste

Did he also walk up-hill to AND from school?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Impossible to drill an undersize hole. As the drill will not go through the hole. Sharpen the end offset as to the center point and you will get a bigger hole.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Well, I've seen it done too. The trick is a rounded corner at the edge of the cutting edge going to the flute. Like a Racon sharpening

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I could sell the idiot my close to brand new Darex M5 so he could resharpen all / most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. This way the moron can tell everyone what a great deal he got and not tell anyone he had to reshapen and point split most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. Maybe your former boss can sell him one of those cheap Chinese Kurt knock off vises to compliment those Chinese drill bits he got such a deal on. What a moron.

Darex M5 drill sharpener pics posted on request.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

With barb wire for snowshoes?

Reply to
Garlicdude

I could sell the idiot my close to brand new Darex M5 so he could resharpen all / most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. This way the moron can tell everyone what a great deal he got and not tell anyone he had to reshapen and point split most of his cheap Chinese drill bits. Maybe your former boss can sell him one of those cheap Chinese Kurt knock off vises to compliment those Chinese drill bits he got such a deal on. What a moron.

Darex M5 drill sharpener pics posted on request.

=======================================

People think I hate Jon Banquer because he gave me (and proly many others) the STD doctors now call B. coli, for Banquerichiae coli.

Well, I don't hate Jon Banquer.

In fact, when Quallcom finally wakes up and fires Jon Banquer's utterly useless and still-diseased ass, and he has to move back with his Moms in CT, I'll pay his busfare to Yonkers, and pay him $25 to mow my front lawn, once a week.

He can pretend he's operating a gasoline-powered face mill, and he can think of the height of the grass as the Z axis.

And, I'm sure he'll f*ck that up, too, but I'll pay him anyway.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I guess drilling and drills are exempt from Kriss Hogg's "extensive background in machining and manufacturing processes". For Kriss Hogg's lies see:

What's next for this world-class liar / loser? No doubt something like Kriss Hogg buys a "Drill Doctor" and then sues them for malpractice when it doesn't work like he thinks it should.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Yep he could sharpen his cheap ass drills on your cheap ass drill grinder.

-- Tom

brewertr

A drill doesn't center itself with its point. It centers itself wherever the forces from the cutting edges come into balance. If the lip heights, or the lengths and angles of the cutting edges, aren't identical, then the drill cuts off center, and effectively bores the hole oversize. If you have a good grinder and like playing trigonometry, you can do this on purpose with some remarkably reliable results.

Making a drill cut undersize is more difficult. You have to fix it so the different lengths or angles produce cutting edges that aren't the same distance ahead of center.

Despite what JB might think, a Darex grinder is a really good way to make drills that DON'T cut to size, precisely because it can't repeat the lip heights. And regrinding your drills means you lose all that nice gold coating you paid for. If you have any kind of cutter grinder, you can touch them up yourself, albeit slowly and in low volume, and get better results than the average Chinese manufacturer. Otherwise, since the drills themselves are probably too cheap to justify the cost of quality resharpening service, just use them for rough stuff and buy better drills when you need to form tap a hole.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Many years go knew an old guy who owned a drilling job shop. He could hand grind small drills and be dead nuts on. If I hadn't seen him regrind the drills myself I wouldn't believe it. For years his shop ran parts for Cherry Textron on tolerances they couldn't hold in house for the price he was charging them.

-- Tom

brewertr

age

Ever try drilling, opening up, a hole in titanium, say a 1/32"? good luck. Whats the longest hole you have drilled? non critical, like mold water lines? gun drill machines don't count. Drill doctor? Darex? what about a Sterling drill sharper? Now thats a drill sharpner. For my home drill set, I ground hex's on the shanks on all drills above 3/8" sweet no chuckey needed.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM=A9=AE /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
cncmillgil

Come on, Tom. He was using rubber drill bits. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh, it IS wobbling, for sure. It is a well-known fact that drill bits drill oversize. How much oversize can be VERY variable! Feedrate can make a big difference. You will often see the entry start out triangular, or sometimes pentagonal, and then smooth out somewhat once the drill is half a diameter or so deep. If you need a hole to be on size, you drill undersize and ream. .014" oversize seems like a greater amount of oversize than I'm used to, but I see it all the time, and compensate if needed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

But that is like a step drill and the drill is made smaller part way up the shank.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Take a fairly good drill and measure it at the tip and every 1/2" down.

Reply to
Buerste

Took the words right outta my mouth ...

Reply to
Snag

Sure, but then we would have thread after thread as to which natural, biodegradable lube was better. Bear fat, because its long lasting, or Chicken fat, because its cheap and a lot easier to get. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell