1 3/4 inch step drill bit ?

I need to drill a 1 3/4 inch hole in ABS plastic. I presently have great luck doing this with smaller holes, up to an inch or so, using a step
drill bit. I've searched around the web, and the largest dia step drill bit I can find is 1 3/8 inch - does anyone know of one that goes up to 1 3/4 inch?
--
---
Chris Smolinski

I have had good luck so far cutting plastics with 'wood' spade bits. I recently needed a few 1.5" holes in some 3/4" thick nylon/polyethylene blocks and only have a tiny Unimat DB200 lathe/mill. I had to go up in steps as the Uni just didn't have the 'balls' to cut the 1.5" hole right off. I was concerned about the bits 'wandering' as the point was not cutting but with a rigid set up (using the Uni as a lathe) the holes came out true and with an almost glass like finish. The size was bang on to within a thou too!
I am fairly sure spade bits are available at 1.75" and they might be worth a try (at least they don't cost much to experiment with).
--
Larry Green

Larry Green wrote:

A forstner or sawtooth style bit would give you a better finish and size, I find they work very well in polyethylene and nylon.
Lee valley have them in 1-3/4 for $15.40cnd
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pB245&cat=1,180,42240

Thanks for the suggestion! What speed did you find worked best?
--
---
Chris Smolinski

I found that the slowest speed on my Unimat was too fast and had to put a router speed controller 'inline' to reduce the speed. I have no idea what speed it was actually running at but I adjusted the speed by 'feel' until the bit was cutting nicely without chatter/squeal. You may have to experiment a bit with some scrap to 'dial in' the best speed for your application.
--
Larry Green

Try a holesaw. They are effective and relatively cheap.
Tom

I've tried one, and had terrible results, with a very rough edge and melting of the plastic. Perhaps it was the particular one I used, or the speed of the drill?
--
---
Chris Smolinski

Melting means it got too hot, try cutting with ice water.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Chris Smolinski wrote:

Bradrad make step drills up to 1-1/2" but that's no consolation. You could try one of these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/holecutter.php They work well if used at the appropriate speed.
Tom
replying to Chris Smolinski, Paul wrote: 6mm-60mm Large 1/2'' Shank HSS 4241 Spiral Groove 12 Step Drill Bit Hole Cutter. If you can be 0.07165 off a 45mm step drill bit would work. Found on e-bay for $23