Oil Feed Drill Question

For the drills with the oil feed holes parallel to the shank, which run from one end of the drill to the other, is a different bushing made for every diameter of drill? Also, is the oil fed under pressure? I was contemplating settting up something to use oil-fed drills in the tailstock of my lathe. I'm finding a lot of stuff about the drill bits themselves, but not much on the equipment needed to run them. TIA.

Reply to
ATP*

We use a machine with tru the spindle coolant m27 collets are sealed with silycone you can do that yourself!!!

Reply to
HaroldA102

Many people use special collets for this. They seal with rubber around the drill.

There is, however, a company that makes a collet chuck that sprays coolant out from the partially open collet "slits" downeard without usign special tooling other than the chuck. I'd go that way unless you need the coolant right at the tip of teh drill for some close-to-the-limit machining and/or drilling.

Do you need to run at optimum speed or can you slow it down by 25% and simply use a less elaborate method of cooling the tip and lubricating teh cut?

Reply to
Joe

I used to make a blind bushing for each drill and most of the time I would leave the bushing sticking out of the turret and drill a cross hole thru the side of the bushing to the center,then I would press a piece of copper tube into hole leaving about an inch sticking out, then slip a rubber tube feeding the coolent to drill. Most of the time coolent would flush out the chips so no need to peck drill. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sehr

It appears that you are describing a gundrill. If this the case the yes, a bushing is used for every drill size. This bushing guides the drill point as it enters the work and must touch (usually) the surface of the work. The shanks for different groups of sizes of drill are all the same size where the drill is mounted in the spindle. The oil pressure can be up to 3000 psi. The oil forces the chips out of the hole and actually supports the drill when the drill is a small diameter. If you are seeking information about a different kind of drill please post a link. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I'm not looking at anything as long as a gundrill, just at practical ways of feeding coolant through 9 or 10 inch long 1/2 inch drill bits, for example. After doing some searches on coolant collets, I think I'm beginning to understand the setup- I have seen endmill feeds with oil rings, dedicated to one size, this would obviously be rather expensive for the many drill bit diameters one might want to use. I'll keep an eye on ebay, it seems the complete chuck/collet setup is not a real common, inexpensive item.

Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
ATP*