OT-Computer nerds request

Guy gave me a Compaq Presario 1250 laptop today. I booted it up before I left his shop..and it cant find the boot drive. So went into bios (f10)..and encountered a password on the bios settings.

He doesnt have a clue what it could be. He puttered around with it a bit..kept getting locked out. I loaded Damn Small Linux..ran fine..but couldnt find the hard drive either.

So the bios is corrupt..and the bios is password protected.

Any idea of how to bust a bios password on a compaq laptop? Most tend to be in hard memory..no jumper/ram batt to pull usually.

Im not finding anything on google

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

kfvorwerk

Are you sure it's the bios that's protected? I bought 2 IBM laptops, and one had BIOS protection, and the other had hard drive password. I put in a different drive and it worked in the one that had the HD protected. Still have the BIOS protected one, unfixed.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Really.

I got over 100,000 hits with "compaq presario bios password".

It looks like you will need to remove the battery.

Reply to
Unknown

Which battery? Does a 1250 laptop have a ram battery or is the security on a non volitile chip?

Compaq made literally hundreds of Presarios..most being desktops. Desktops are easy(most)

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Some laptops have password access protected by hardware chips. I think IBM's are especially bad for that. Buy the wrong laptop and you may never get in.

Hope you don't have one of these.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Depending on which species of 1250 this is it should have a lithium battery on the motherboard that you can pull to reset the bios.

Reply to
Steve W.

Wonder if you can download a bios update and it would crack it.

Call HPQ and see what they can do. Maybe a back door.

Like pressing keys when doing something - or power up with key(s) pressed.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If you can find the BIOS maker - maybe a call to them and get a new Bios chip!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Steve Walker wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Found on Google, Compaq HP say: "Power On Password -

The Power On password is set in the System BIOS options. It prevents unwanted users from accessing the computer. By default, HP does not set the Power On password. If you set the Power On password in the System BIOS options you will be prompted for it immediately after you power on the Notebook PC. If this password is forgotten, a repair at an HP certified repair center is required to reset the computer. Please contact HP to schedule a repair. This service is not covered by the warranty.

Drive Lock The Drive Lock password protects the data on your hard drive through encryption. If your computer is stolen, the data on the hard drive is inaccessible without the Drive Lock password. This password can not be reset. If it is lost or forgotten, the hard drive must be replaced. Please contact HP to order a new hard drive. This service is not covered by the warranty."

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Reply to
digger

One word for Hp/Compaq....SPLASH! Oh, you don't live near the Great lakes, improvise!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Time for the O/A garbage bag trick! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Wonder why you can't format the drive when it has a drive lock on. In a sense it would continue the protection. I would think format would look at the hardware and go for it. Run it from CD.

Worth a try. Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It cant FIND the drive. I believe the bios settings are corrupt.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Joe Gorman

So MAYBE the hard drive is actually fried ....

Gary

Reply to
grice

According to Martin H. Eastburn :

Re-partition from some other OS (perhaps from a boot CD for installing that OS) -- which won't honor the lock which Windows puts on it. Then, you can be clear to re-format under Windows -- if that is what you want.

Or maybe you can go back to something like MS-DOS 3.1 -- if it will handle a disk that big.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Gerald Miller :

[ ... ]

Or perhaps -- set it up downrange, and see what round will do the best job of splattering it all over. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The Armada/Evo/Omnibooks are good, its just the presario and pavilion that are trash, just like any other tools, you can buy the business grade or the cheap toy grade, the presario and pavilion are the cheap toy grade. Back to the original question, the Compaq business line you used to be able to clear the boot password by removing all batteries (the little cmos battery and the main power battery(s)) and tap Fn-f11 while powering on and it will reset all settings. Fn-f11 will reset all but the password with the batteries in but removing all the batteries tells it to clear the password also. that may work on the presarios too.

Reply to
Eugene