How to properly scrap a machine

I have a Cincinnati #$2 tool and cutter grinder

The table seems to be stuck and is moving with difficulty. Since they are worth (on eBay) a third over their scrap value anyway, I have no interest in fixing it.

Instead, I want to take off all handles, reversing switch, other electricals etc and scrap the machine itself. I wonder if there is something else that I should do to get top dollar per pound on this machine? Do scrap yards penalize me for, say, leaving the motor on the machine, as contamination?

Or should I not bother and just drive the machine over there after taking off what I need?

Clueless in scrap

Reply to
Ignoramus20484

It's more likely that the scrap yard is happy to pay you scrap steel prices for scrap copper.

I'm probably as clueless about scrap as you are, but it occurs to me that if you have any really low paid help you may want to investigate taking the copper out of the motor and selling it separately.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I have a medium paid help help, but he is very busy. The motor is only

1 HP, not worth the time. i
Reply to
Ignoramus20484

Electric motors should be separated out there is a category for just those.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Ignoramus20484 on Sun, 04 Dec

2011 21:30:33 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

If you leave it on, they will pay you scrap steel prices for an electrical motor.

Your time, vs the possible return on the scrap value of the motor.

"Strip it for parts" - separate the motor, "scrap as unit", any wiring, yank and add to the copper wire pile. Computer/electrical components - like wise. It might be "worth it" time wise, to just take the big pieces off and let them have the whole thing "as is. And they can have someone get the copper bits, themselves.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Well maybe the rapid traverse and the fine feed are both engaged which would make it seem that the table is hard to move or stuck. That condition was possible on the #2 i once owned.

Just as a side note i believe the motor on a #2 is specialy balanced, might make it valuable maybe not.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

If you have the room, I would list it on Craigslist and Ebay with an honest description and also saying that if no one wants the whole machine you will sell parts off it. You might find someone willing to pay a bit over scrap . Say a retired person like me that would want to have a project.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't think it matters much. I take in a whole car or truck and they don't worry about whether on not the started and alternator, etc., have been removed.

Here's a partial list of scrap prices today at the place I go:

Electric Motors

LB

.10

Sealed Unit

LB

.05

Starters/Alternators

LB

.10

Unprepared Iron

Ton

220

Sheet Iron

Ton

175

3' Prepared Iron

Ton

235

3' Foundry Grade Iron

Ton

265

#1 Cast Iron

Ton

270

#2 Cast Iron

Ton

185

Breakable Cast

Ton

125

Carbide

LB

5.00

Steel Turnings

Ton

115

Dirty Motors

Ton

210

Junk Bus

Ton

145

Junk Motor Home/Camper

Will Accept $0

Deduct for Tires

Junk Car Bodies

Ton

175

Sorry about the formating.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

Reply to
Pete S

Azotic, you almost get the prize, your answer was the closest. There is a hard to find table lock under the table, which was partially engaged. The machine is fine.

Reply to
Ignoramus12217

Sounds like its ready for ebay.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Gunner, the scrap value of this machine is (my estimate) $200 in cash. The ebay value is $299. Subtract from this the fees from ebay and paypal and you get about $250 in electronic money.

Which is less time consuming?

Which is better?

The answer is not quite very obvious.

I will see if I am right for this business, I think, in about 4 months. Right now things are going modestly okay.

Ignoramus5603

Took my 15 year old lathe and mill to scrap place, 8 miles from my location. They look at what you are bringing. No, plastic, wood.

Then I buy all new.

xman

Reply to
charl

Oddly, I do not, I must have searched for the wrong terms./

Ignoramus20184