Visit to a scrap yard

I was at a scrap yard and I was very impressed.

First, they did not try to cheat me. I weighed some things prior to going there and their weights were about same. Second, they had a very menacing crushing excavator like monster made by Terex, that worked like mad. Third, they were actually quite nice and gentle with me, worked hard not to break my truck and trailer.

I scrapped 2.5 tons of steel and some misc stuff. Say, one machine that I bought for $50 and could not sell on ebay for 299 (an antique

1928 paper cutter), fetched $300 in cash. Now I understand a little better how those guys bid on machines at auctions and scrap them. It is a very nice business with the rght capability. It would be a lot easier to just drive that machine to a scrap yard.

I will be their regular client. The place is called Cozzi O Brien Recycling.

Ignoramus13479

My cousin did scrapping for a couple years until he recently got a job in his field again. He said he did ok working 3 days a week but he worked 5 or

6 when he could because it can be pretty brutal work in the winter time where he lives.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Did they tell you about removing all the liquids in whatever you bring?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

They did not seem to care, there probably was oil in that generator engine that I scrapped (after taking off all valuable, small parts like injection pump).

Ignoramus13479

Each state must be different in that area. Here in Oregon, the scrappers cannot accept any scrap material with oil or other prohibited liquids. I was at Schnitzer Steel in Bend a few years ago and saw them turn away several people bringing vehicles that had not been drained. Not their rule, but the state EPA doesn't want the stuff spilled in the ground and run off into the ground water.

When we lived in Washington, I took and old International truck engine to a scrapper and had to certify that I had removed all oil, etc.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

No one asked any questions, the engine was put on a scale, then tossed in a pile to be ripped apart by the Terex Fuchs MHL 350 scrap tosser.

Ignoramus13479

This is why real estate that used to be a scrapyard (and nearby sites) can often be an environmental nightmare.. oil and other fluids released get into the soil (and migrate by air or underground)-- and it can cost millions of dollars to remediate.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Buying a former scrap yard or a scrapping operation (people who buy stuff and scrap it) is definitely not on my priority list! Very scary stuff.

I have seen places where oil was puddling in giant, cavernous buildings. They were muddy inside, but the liquid in mud was used oil, not water.

Ignoramus13479

I've taken scrap to several places, in Rochester, NY area. I'll never go back to Kreigers, because they have several times short weighted me at the scales. Even when I'm standing next to the guy and watching the scale, they still short me.

Other yards are more honest. One time I had a load of BX electical cable. Phoned. One yard quoted me 5 cents a pound for scrap, another yard quoted I think 80 cents a pound for the copper content. Good idea to call around.

.

My cousin did scrapping for a couple years until he recently got a job in his field again. He said he did ok working 3 days a week but he worked 5 or

6 when he could because it can be pretty brutal work in the winter time where he lives.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL. I filled a propane bottle for my BBQ once at a local business. They started with the meter on 0.2. Filled the hose before opening the bottle so it jumped to .4 before opening my valve. Filled it to 4.7, and then wrote down 5 gallons on the ticket. When I told the manager why I wouldn't be coming back he just said, "Ok." LOL. I haven't been back. Not even for a soda.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ignoramus13479 on Fri, 13 Jan

2012 04:28:11 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

What I want to know is: if I am buying a scrap yard or other industrial site, with the intent of keeping it as an industrial, why is it so necessary that I clean it up as if it would be used as the playground of a daycare?

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what they are actually accomplishing.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Because the country is full of sites that were once industrial, that left polluted land and water behind them, where the industry is gone and are now fit for nothing -- as well as spreading their pollution through ground water and even the air.

I'm from NJ. Ask me for examples.

And you comment about things of which you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:25:21

And, those sites are all now being used as playgrounds for daycares?????

So the assumption is that this industrial park will become a playground for a daycare, and before a new industry can start operations, the area must be made safe for toddlers to crawl about on?

So maybe you can explain why an industrial site must be a pristine as a daycare playground.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

We have a condemned Oakite site in my town, which it cost us a couple of million bucks to make safe for a park, where kids now play. Is there something else you have in mind?

Are we supposed to let the polluters determine what we can do with the land after they leave?

What new industry? They're gone, and that division went bankrupt. They just left us the mess.

Another example that still grates my ass was a plant north of Princeton where they did developmental research for plastic processing (for manufacturing golf balls, of all things). They went bankrupt and left. After they left, the town found PCBs in the well water and traced it to the plant site.

So all of our wells were condemned and we had to pay $10,000 per house to have city water installed. Out of our pockets.

Shall I go on?

Because they have no right to destroy the land for any future use.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hope you told all your neighbors?

.

LOL. I filled a propane bottle for my BBQ once at a local business. They started with the meter on 0.2. Filled the hose before opening the bottle so it jumped to .4 before opening my valve. Filled it to 4.7, and then wrote down 5 gallons on the ticket. When I told the manager why I wouldn't be coming back he just said, "Ok." LOL. I haven't been back. Not even for a soda.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't laugh. The old Orkin pest control place in Victor, NY is now a day care.

.

And, those sites are all now being used as playgrounds for daycares?????

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Even the industrial sites are not ALLOWED to get that poluted today because the chemicals get into groundwater, with the plumes spreading for MILES, damaging wells and streams.

Old industrial sites NEED to be remediated - and there are different classes of remediation - and limits on what those brown-sites can be used for

Reply to
clare

We had a factory in my own town, that polluted groundwater with some nasty chemicals. Many people's wells are now unusable. It is now a superfund site and the factory was liquidated.

Ignoramus16789

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin, contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

Ignoramus16789